Associate Data Engineer
About the Role
New Classrooms is seeking an Associate Data Engineer. The smart use of data has always been vital to ensuring that the New Classrooms’ model Teach To One: Math delivers a personalized math program for each and every student. We combine multiple sources of data into a comprehensive model of whole-student learners, in order to better personalize the learning experience for students and improve outcomes for our partners.
The Data Solutions team ensures that clean data, sound analytical approaches and valid statistical techniques are used to answer complex questions about our students, our program and the larger education landscape. The Associate Data Engineer will help ensure that our systems are creating high quality, useful data, and will aid in analyzing that data and transforming it into information that informs organization and program strategy.
This position is a great opportunity for a candidate with strong technical skills and intellectual curiosity who is looking to leverage these skills and develop in the area of strategic application of data.
- You are energized by the opportunity to apply the power of data analytics to the unique complex challenges presented in education environments.
- You are empathetic, respectful, and vigilantly aware that data and analytics directly impact students and teachers every day.
- You have the capacity to thrive in our fast paced, iterative, start-up environment without abandoning your beliefs in accuracy, rigor, completeness and integrity.
- Your experience working with others has taught you that the whole can be greater than the sum of its parts, and that collaboration rooted in mutual respect can produce results that go beyond the contributions of any individual.
- You can clearly communicate your insights verbally, visually and in writing.
What You Will Do
- Develop and maintain a data pipeline to collect, organize, and process data from disparate sources.
- Write and maintain documentation of ETL processes via process flow diagrams.
- Represent the Data Solutions team in the creation of Databases, Data Marts, Data Cubes, and other data solutions as projects demand.
- Perform light analyses from the data pool to support inference, prediction and recommendation of actionable insights in agency of the Data Solutions Team mission.
- Perform data profiling and source to target mappings (while capturing ETL and business metadata) for populating dimensional models.
- Provide support for both new and existing applications while recommending best practices and guiding projects to implement new functionality.
- Collaborate in design reviews and code reviews to ensure data standards are met. Recommend and assist in the enforcement of new standards for data process requirements.
- Stay abreast of contemporary technologies and theory regarding data management, data processing and ETL techniques. Communicate back to the team regularly on findings.
- Review solution requirements and architecture to guide technology selection, efficient resource application and effective integration to existing processes and technology.
- Support the team in presentations and data communication strategy.
What We Are Looking For
- 2+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience with Microsoft Business Intelligence technologies, including MS SQL server, SQL Server Integration Services, SQL Server Analysis Services, and PowerBI.
- Experience designing and optimizing data warehouse objects, including schema and indexing strategies for facts and dimensions.
- Experience creating and managing Tabular Models using SSAS, including complex relationships, calculated tables and measures, hierarchies and KPIs.
- Knowledge of best practices and principles for ETL, data modeling, analytics, and data mining.
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence.
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies.
- Curiosity and passion about data, visualization and solving problems.
- Work independently as well as within a group on a task or a larger project.
- Nice to have - Nonprofit or Education sector experience.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality or sex.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.