Bioinformatics Engineer (open to mid-level and senior candidates)
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Do you want to join an innovative team and contribute to cancer research? Are you creative and want to tackle important problems? Then join us here at MSK, where we can provide you with the opportunity to do all of those things! This is a phenomenal role for someone who has the right skills, who wants to be part of a dynamic team and wants to learn how to apply their skills to support our mission here.
MSK is seeking a Bioinformatics Software Engineer (open to mid-level and senior) to join the laboratory of Luis Diaz, Head of the Division of Solid Tumor Oncology. Under the supervision of the group leader, will provide support to research projects at the Center by designing, developing, and implementing software tools for processing and analyzing high-throughput next-generation sequencing data. In addition, will provide one-on-one consultation and training to research scientists and bioinformatics and software engineers at the Center in the use of bioinformatics software tools and databases.
- Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information, consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear, or the way forward is not obvious
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situation
- Excellent background in next-generation sequencing data analysis
- Cross-disciplinary and strong analytic skills, as well as broad experience with bioinformatics methods, software and computer programming languages (at least 2 of these) R, Python, Perl, shell scripting
- Data analysis and visualization using R
- Experience in Bioinformatics pipeline development on HPC or Cloud platform
- Experience in Open-source Bioinformatics tools/packages (GATK, Bioconductor, etc.) and Biological databases (UCSC, ENSEMBL, GEO, TCGA, dbsnp, etc.)
- Familiar with genetic variant calling algorithms using WGS, WES data
- Hand-on experience on analyzing large-scale omics data (e.g. whole genome sequencing, exome-seq, amplicon sequencing, RNA-seq, etc.) and uncovering new biological insights.
To be considered for Bioinformatics Software Engineer III, you need:
- Ph.D. and 3-4 years of related experience, Master’s Degree and 4-7 years of related experience or equivalent experience
To be considered for Bioinformatics Software Engineer II, you need:
- Ph.D. and 0-2 years of related experience, Master’s Degree and 2-4 years of related experience, or equivalent experience.
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
Our Hiring Process
You review the posting, agree it sounds like a great fit & apply ->Talent Acquisition contacts you to schedule a phone interview (if your profile aligns) -> after speaking with the Talent Acquisition Specialist, you will connect with the Hiring Manager by phone or video -> if your experience is a fit, you will move forward to a video call or on-site visit with the team -> post-interview feedback->ideally an offer! ->reference check & onboarding-> orientation & official welcome to MSK.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.