Business Intelligence Lead at CB Insights
CB Insights has millions of readers, hundreds of thousands of prospects and tens of thousands of paying users. That generates a lot of data across various disparate systems ranging from organic databases to Salesforce to Hubspot (to many more).
Through a deliberate strategy to grow business intelligence capabilities at CB Insights, we hope to achieve a few key results:
- Establish cohesion and transparency for the organization by way of establishing a single source of truth that combines data across disparate systems into one view
- Provide capabilities and expertise at the business unit level such that they can use BI systems to educate their day-to-day decisions with data
- Unlock new opportunities for growth in the business through data
While BI at CB Insights is very much a nascent discipline, the infrastructure exists. Our stack includes Looker as the BI layer which sits on top of Redshift. Segment is the underlying ETL which pulls the data together from disparate systems. The time is right for an experienced BI leader to inherit our assets and help us achieve the above goals.
This position will live within the engineering organization, with frequent and close interaction across all major business units at CB Insights. Additionally, the BI Lead position will allow for plenty of executive level / founder exposure. As such, while familiarity with technical systems is important, we are seeking a leader who can act as a strategic thought-partner to the business. Said simply, this person will push organization's thinking around what and how to measure.
- Business impact
- Work closely with business stakeholders and product teams to understand requirements and ensure reports, metrics and dashboards support data-driven decision making.
- Lead, collect, and analyze operational and technical requirements for large, multifunctional projects.
- Develop and report against KPIs in partnership with business leads to C-suite audience.
- Prioritize, scope, and address ad-hoc requests from team leads across CBI.
- Support and develop LookML buildout, providing guidance on best practices and approving major releases of LookML code when necessary
- Review current base of LookML code to improve efficiency, performance, and readability
- Educate and lead internal and external team members to support these efforts
- Collaborate with our engineering team to understand and implement any changes to data architecture and design
- Ensure effective and comprehensive event tracking
- Develop and maintain Looker instance
- Serve as the technical point of contact for the organization’s Segment-based data stack
- Data quality & process
- Simplify and streamline reporting - establish systems to enable reporting driving transparency and cohesion throughout the organization
- Establish, maintain and document high data quality standards in our core data pipelines, datasets and databases.
- Investigate and address data anomalies and process gaps to troubleshoot data inconsistencies; implement solutions
- Ensure compliance with all applicable data privacy regulations and policies as they relate to both firm and client/contact data.
- Enable business users/embedded analysts to self-serve analytics needs in Looker, through both periodic training sessions and ongoing support
- Lead the buildout of ongoing, low-maintenance reporting processes and dashboards that allow the organization to self-serve for data needs
- Grow the analytics team at CB Insights, including hiring and training junior staff
- Extremely effective at translating business user questions/demands into clear, actionable analysis and reporting
- Experience building multi-user reporting systems with high performance, great usability and highly satisfied stakeholders
- Experience launching BI systems to a growing organization a strong plus
- Experience building a high-performing BI/analytics team at a growing company, managing a team of at least 2 analysts
- Experience supporting several technical and non-technical users across the organization to push the analytics maturity of the organization.
- Experience working with engineers to scope and execute data engineering projects (event tracking, ETL, DWH design).
- Deep familiarity with key SaaS operating metrics
- Preferably 2+ years hands-on, administrator-level Looker experience (Tableau experience also acceptable so long as willing to adopt Looker)
- Strong expertise in SQL and data modeling
- Experience working with Redshift a plus
- Understanding of data architectures, relational and nonrelational database concepts, data warehouses, data modeling and application implementations
- Strong analytical fundamentals (requirements gathering, data modeling, data mining, data engineering, metrics and KPI definition, visualisation, and presentation)
- Strong communications skills; ability to distill complex concepts into universally understandable ones
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Perks and Benefits:
Subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with up to 4% match
- $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Daily lunch stipend
Happy, Helpful, Humble, and Hungry: Check out more about our company culture here.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role, submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000! #LI-FR1