Cloud Database Administrator at Haven Technologies
Haven Technologies has built deep capabilities in the life, annuity and disability insurance spaces. And now, our tech is your tech.
The same purpose-built platform and expertise that have helped us delight customers, transform complex, advisor-driven businesses, and launch groundbreaking products with speed are available to everyone as a SaaS offering. Insurance carriers can use our advanced solutions for new business, in-force management and product development.
But Haven Technologies is not just, well, all about technology. Our people and culture make our product. We believe magic happens when people have an opportunity to work with amazing colleagues and build things that matter.
As a team made of over 300+ dreamers, possibility-seekers and difference-makers, we are focused on taking on challenging problems to create simple, more accessible, and more customer centric solutions. We're located in New York's Flatiron District and in case you're wondering, yes, we provide free snacks. Cold brew too. If you're creative, professional and kind, we'd love to hear from you. Curious about what it’s like to work with us? Read about our culture and values here!
Let’s change the future of life insurance. Together.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Database Management -
- Support multiple implementations at various support levels. Install, configure and provide day to day support after implementation, including off hours as needed
- Well understanding of database design, capacity planning and query strategy to provide suggestions for optimal performance and scalability
- Quickly learns the new features of both RDBMS and NoSQL DBs becomes proficient at implementing those options or features as they become available with minimal direction
- Involved with review, analysis and implementation of additional 3rd party database software solutions and database add-on solutions when required
- Database Maintenance - Works closely with application and cloud operation teams to maintain DB systems with routine maintenance and patching as outlined by the database vendors through major and minor upgrades in a timely fashion as they are released.
- Performance Tuning - Conducts performance/Health Checks on both DB system and individual low performance queries as needed. Good knowledge on database design and query execution strategy to advise developers on optimal database and query performance.
- SME of Database - Go To resource or resident expert of the database platform (PostgreSql, ElasticSearch, Neo4j and Oracle etc.) or infrastructure requirements that DB systems hosted on
- Troubleshooting - Respond to tickets and other notifications of issues. Resolves the more complex issues that arise, determining the cause of the database problem, determine a solution and implement the appropriate actions to correct
- Recovery - strong understanding of advanced business continuity and disaster recovery options for supported Database systems; define, maintain, communicate and execute the backup recovery procedure. Clearly communicates available options based on the DR scenario and SLA to application teams with minimal supervision
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems/Computer Information Systems, or closely related field
- 5+ years as an enterprise production DBA supporting mission critical database systems
- Strong Knowledge and hands-on experiences of cloud based RDBMS (PostgreSql, Oracle etc.) and NoSQL (ElasticSearch, Neo4j etc.) database systems. Fully understanding the Database internal architecture, system configurations and backup and recovery strategies
- Practical experience of supporting the mission critical DB systems effectively & efficiently; mastering on the query optimization, indexing design and sharding strategies. Strong knowledge of query language and the proficient in SQL is mandatory
- Demonstrated experience with large data sets, ETL process and data integration strategies
- Strong understanding of database security principles, structure, approaches and implements roles appropriately
- Working knowledge of AWS cloud, or other cloud environments. SaaS system supporting experience is a plus
- Works independently with product and application teams, understands application requirements and provides direction to the application team in support of those requirements, contributes to team efforts regularly. Proficient in communication with customers, peers and management
- Basic knowledge on Data Governance, Master Data Management and Data Quality framework
- Must be able to work from our NYC location when we return to the office
- Authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship
We have a stellar team of co-workers, a really cool office, and lots of fun activities. Oh yeah, and we pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
We believe that one of the benefits to working here is our people and culture! We’re proud to share that we’ve been consistently named a top workplace by Great Places to Work (#11 Best Workplaces in New York, #15 Best Workplaces in Financial Services and Insurance) and BuiltIn (Top 10 Best Midsize Company to Work For in NYC)!
As part of our commitment to health and safety, we have implemented various COVID-related health and safety requirements for our workforce. These requirements may include sharing information in our vaccine record tool, vaccination or regular testing, mask-wearing, social distancing, and daily health checks. Requirements may change in the future with evolving public health landscape. Haven Technologies will consider all legally required exemptions and accommodation requests.