Compliance Document Custodian at Better.com
Better is redefining homeownership and making it simpler, faster—and most importantly—more accessible for everyone. We leverage technology and expertise to find ways that we can make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable.
- Right now we’re funding over $3 billion in home loans per month
- We’ve funded over $14 billion in loans and $3.5 billion in insurance
- We ranked #1 in the U.S. on LinkedIn's Top Startups 2020
- We ranked #11 on Fortune’s Best Places to Work in Financial Services 2020
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- We were listed to Forbes’ FinTech 50 2020
- And #15 on the 2020 CNBC Disruptor 50
- We’ve secured over $254 million from our investors to date
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do and we are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We see the perspectives that each person brings and a diverse workforce as essential for individual and collective success. We believe it’s important to foster a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
A Better opportunity:
Better is seeking a Document Custodian with mortgage industry experience and existing data and database knowledge to join our quickly growing Legal and Compliance team. As our company continues to build out and expand our services, our team is looking to hire a Document Custodian to address a burgeoning list of documentation and data reporting requirements. It is imperative that our information is organized and easily reportable to senior management, business partners and industry regulators.
Reporting to the Corporate Support Pillar Head, this role will collaborate closely with teams across the business, including mortgage operations, product, and other stakeholders. The ideal candidate takes a hands on approach to his/her work and operates well in white space with a lot of ambiguity. This person should be detail oriented, methodical in his/her approach to data, but also creative in thinking of new ways to progress a business where we’re doing what has never been done before!
Responsibilities will include:
- Preparing Loan Packages, reports and data logs as requested by internal customers, stakeholders and regulators on tight deadlines
- Responding to and managing all loan document due diligence requests, audits, examinations and investigations
- Organizing and maintaining Loan Packages across all product types (FNMA, FHA, Bridge, etc.) and ensuring that documents are prepared and executed in accordance with regulations
- Maintaining Better internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators as applicable
- Investigating and troubleshooting discrepancies in internal processes and escalating to stakeholders as appropriate
- Building and maintaining data queries as part of document record maintenance
- Assisting with special projects from all Compliance pillars as needed
Bonus points for:
- Proficiency with SQL, Looker, or other database coding and languages
- Previous experience with loan origination software (LOS) (eg. Ellie Mae, Encompass, etc.)
- Familiarity with quality control or audit procedures
- Previous experience preparing documents for regulatory exams and investigations
- Deep understanding of mortgage origination, closing and funding processes
- Expertise in Loan Package Documentation (Mortgage Processing Background Preferred)
- Technically savvy, advanced experience with data queries
- Collaborative attitude and strong communication skills to partner effectively with teammates, executive leadership, and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency, but prioritize organization in order to successfully juggle competing priorities and drive projects across the finish line. You have excellent communication and relationship-building skills.
- You are highly adaptable, and able to thrive in ambiguous or uncertain environments
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve recently joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, age, or any other basis protected by law. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
Depending on your location, the California Consumer Privacy Act or other laws may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. For further information on how we collect data of job applicants, please click here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.