Customer Data Research Lead at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
Research at Better
At Better, the research team plays an integral part in gathering insights about the needs, attitudes, mindsets, and behaviors of our customers. We collaborate closely with each other and with our product and design peers to create industry-leading products and services that deliver value to the people who use them, and to Better's businesses.
As a Lead Researcher focused on customer data, feedback, and trends, your work will shape every part of how Better designs future digital products and services.
In this role, you'll be expected to:
- Design, conduct, and synthesize primary customer research studies
- Define and own Better's approach to capturing, coding, and analyzing qualitative customer data at scale
- Blend diverse sources like intercept surveys, CSAT/NPS, and behavioral analytics to generate insights that help your product and design peers make better decisions
- Act as an embedded partner with your product and design peers
- Balance long-term strategic initiatives with evaluative explorations for near-term refinement
- Use data, patterns, and statistics to tell compelling stories that are convincing and actionable
- This role is designated as ‘Remote Mode,’ and employees are not expected to report into a Better office at any time. Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is not required unless fully remote employees attend an onsite, in-person meeting, office event, or otherwise interface with Better employees and/or customers in person.
You'll also be an integral part of a small but growing group, helping to define the discipline while doing foundational work. As we expand, we want you to:
- Be opinionated about how we define research at Better
- Have strong instincts about methodological rigor
- Lead by example — if an existing method doesn’t provide value, you'll invent your own
- Know when collaboration with your more qualitative peers is needed
- Expect and embrace changing priorities and requirements
- Bring curiosity, skepticism, and enthusiasm to your daily search for answers
Some things we're looking for:
- 6+ years of experience in research or a related field, including examples of interesting work — experience working on voice of the customer (VOC) programs is a plus
- A deep understanding of survey and experiment design
- Ability to self-manage across multiple tracks of work
- Experience with NLP, sentiment analysis, and pattern recognition
- An understanding of inclusive design and accessibility
- Passion for solving complicated problems and making things simple
- A track record of knowing when to delegate, and when to do the work yourself
Job Req ID: JR101669
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.