Data Center Capacity Planning Analyst
Based in New York, DigitalOcean is a dynamic, high-growth technology company that serves a robust and passionate community of developers, teams, and businesses around the world. We believe that today’s entrepreneurs are changing the world through software. Our mission is to empower these entrepreneurs by bringing modern app development within reach for any developer, anywhere in the world.We want people who are passionate about creating tactical and strategic plans for our core infrastructure and our data centers.
Reporting to the Director of Infrastructure Operations, the Data Center Capacity Analyst will ensure there are networked and powered racks always available and ready to receive servers, whether for customer facing products or for internal infrastructure.
You will do this by keeping a close eye on the available rack capacity and pulling together various internal teams to get more racks online as capacity runs out. You will also work with internal rack consumers like the Capacity team and various internal managers to plan for their requests for space and power.What You’ll Be Doing:
- Perform data center space planning by keeping track of rack availability and matching that to future rack space requirements from various internal teams
- Track and maintain data center contractual terms to support reporting and internal audit requirements
- Work with next generation platform (servers, networking, storage, data center design, etc.) teams to understand the impact of new technology and architecture on data center capacity
- Gather and incorporate requirements for both new data center space and expansions from internal DigitalOcean teams
- Aggregate product level capacity plans into master data center rack and power level plan
- Develop annual plans for data center capacity, space and power requirements
- Power utilization planning and analysis at various levels of electrical infrastructure
- Coordinate sequential plans consisting of equipment overbuilds, set implementation priorities, and timing
- Liaise with our data center providers on builds, expansions and contract renewals
- Manage data center monthly invoices to ensure accurate billing
- Routinely assess data center markets for market availability and forecast when additional data center capacity will be required
- Prior experience in a planning role, preferably at a data center or colocation company
- Working knowledge of fundamental data center resource constraints
- At least a basic understand of power infrastructure
- Knowledge of dependencies within and between data center resources design and equipment resiliency planning
- Strong analytical and communication skills, a risk mitigation mindset and exhibit appropriate levels of urgency
- Experience in interacting with data structures (using Excel and/or SQL) to build reports and make recommendations
- Experience with DCIM or other planning software utilities a plus
- Exposure to—or interest in—cloud services, data center, networking and various types of server technology would be beneficial
- We have amazing people. We can promise you will work with some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. We work hard but we always have fun doing it. We care deeply about each other and take our “no jerks” rule very seriously.
- We value development. We are a high-performance organization that is always challenging ourselves to continuously grow. That means we maintain a growth mindset in everything we do and invest deeply in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better.
- We care about you. We offer competitive health, dental, and vision benefits for employees and their dependents, a monthly gym reimbursement to support your physical health, and a monthly commute allowance to make your trips to and from work easier.
- We invest in your future. We offer competitive compensation and a 401k plan with up to a 4% employer match. We also provide all employees with reimbursement for relevant conferences, training, and education.
- We want you to love where you work. We have great office spaces located in the heart of SoHo NYC and Cambridge and offer daily catered lunches to keep your hunger at bay. We’re also very remote-friendly—we use Slack to communicate across the company—and all remote employees have the opportunity to onboard in-office and take an all-expenses paid trip to our annual company offsite, Shark Week, to get quality in-person time with the team at least once a year. We also allow employees to customize their workstations to meet their needs—whether remote or in office.
- We value diversity and inclusivity. We are an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Want to learn more about our Infrastructure team? Clickhere!
Want an inside look into life at DO? Clickhere to hear from our employees!