Data Engineer - Computational Oncology Program at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK is seeking a Data Engineer to join the Computational Oncology Program in the Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics as part of the new Program in Computational Immuno-Oncology. Working in close collaboration with researchers and software engineers, you will be responsible for managing data from cutting edge, large scale research efforts in at the intersection of computational oncology and immunology including bulk and single-cell genomics, imaging and clinical data analysis and interpretation. Motivated by contributing meaningfully to modern progress in cancer research driven by advances in computing and data, we are seeking a hardworking, highly-skilled, responsible individual with experience handling and visualizing data utilizing robust, enterprise-level modern software systems. The right candidate will be the main liaison for all data requests from researchers and collaborators, a close collaborator with the software engineering team to build data management solutions, a mentor to those who wish to use this solution, and ultimately responsible for the correctness and completeness of all data within the group. Additionally, you will oversee and ensure the delivery of data results, taking action to ensure analysis projects stay on track.
The Data Engineer will also drive assigned projects and ensure the delivery of results; identity, develop, and gather resources to complete the project; plan, coordinate and lead meetings with stakeholders throughout the project life cycle; design and implement a plan for completing projects to deliver results, manage priorities and resource allocation, monitor progress and performance against the project plan and take action to ensure projects stay on track.
- Manage data from high-throughput next-generation sequencing and imaging
- Contribute to the design of databases as part of bioinformatics data processing and analysis systems
- Contribute to front end solutions for visualization of data and analyses
- Maintain and monitor streaming and batch ETLs operating on structured and unstructured sources
- Maintain a data lake with hundreds of terabytes of data
- Develop workflows and integrate systems with REST APIs
- Compile datasets and verify data consistency
- Communicate with stakeholders of the data and upon request, conduct data query tracking and resolution
- Identify inefficiencies and work with software engineers to simplify processes, debug systems and automate routine tasks
- Able to hold yourself and others accountable in order to achieve goals and live up to commitments
- A good decision-maker, with proven success at making timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward
- Able to work effectively in an environment notable for complex, sometimes contradictory information
- Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Adept at planning and prioritizing work to meet commitments aligned with organizational
- Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
- An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding
- Resilient in recovering from setbacks and skilled at finding detours around obstacles
- Able to operate effectively, even when things are not clear or the way forward is not obvious
- Adept at learning quickly, applying insights from past efforts to new situation
- At least 3 years of proven experience, preferably with bioinformatics lab information management systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or Database Management (or equivalent experience)
- Experience designing databases and defining system requirements for data collection
- Experience in Python, and working with SQL and NoSQL data
- Experience in Linux systems, and shell scripting
- Experience in software development life cycle (requirements, design, deployment, testing, etc.)
Competitive compensation packages | Sick Time |Generous Vacation+ 12 holidays to recharge & refuel| Internal Career Mobility & Performance Consulting | Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA & Dependent Care|403b Retirement Savings Plan Match|Tuition Reimbursement |Parental Leave & Adoption Assistance |Commuter Spending Account |Fitness Discounts &Wellness Program | Resource Networks| Life Insurance & Disability | Remote Flexibility
We believe in communication, openness, and thinking beyond your 8-hour day @ MSK. It’s important to us that you have a sense of impact, community, and work/life balance to be and feel your best.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.