Data Engineer at Foursquare
Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (Scala, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
Join us and help bring our ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. You'll be a key member of our Attribution team, building a system that builds hundreds of machine learning models per day at scale to drive marketing decisions for many well-known companies. You'll build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our processing of petabytes of dataResponsibilities:
- Develop and maintain our data pipelines using Hadoop, Scalding, Luigi, Spark, Mongo and more
- Partner with the Data Science team to investigate and implement advanced statistical models and machine learning pipelines
- Identify and implement performance improvements across all pipelines
- Data investigations to validate assumptions or find the source of a problem
- Assist client support and sales with client integrations
- 3+ years of experience working with Hadoop MapReduce and/or other big data technologies and pipelines
- You have a solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with particular expertise in data structures, algorithms, and design
- You obsess over data: everything needs to be accounted for and be thoroughly tested
- You are constantly thinking of ways to squeeze better performance out of the pipelines
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)
- Experience with Scala, Scalding, Luigi,Hive, machine learning pipelines and model training is a plus
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
Foursquare is proud to foster an inclusive environment that is free from discrimination. We strongly believe in order to build the best products, we need a diversity of perspectives and backgrounds. This leads to a more delightful experience for our users and team members. We value listening to every voice and we encourage everyone to come be a part of building a company and products we love.
Foursquare is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.