Data Engineer at Alice
Alice raises the take-home pay of working Americans. 156 million employees in the US are spending more and more of their budget on healthcare, childcare, and commuting. Alice uses software to add money to people’s paychecks when they spend on everyday items that are pretax eligible—with no forms, no math, no acronyms. When employers connect Alice to their payroll system, their workers keep more of what they rightfully earn, without any more work from HR. Alice is a true win-win-win. Employees take home more of what they earn, employers save on payroll taxes, and Alice is paid only from what employers save. No one pays for Alice out-of-pocket.
We’re a bright, diverse, and dedicated team solving hard problems. Our day-to-day work crosses cultures we are passionate about—venture backed-tech, government and regulators, employers and business owners, local communities, and working people. We take great pride in having team members from different backgrounds because we know that every voice matters.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
We're looking for a full-stack data engineer to join our team in NYC—more than just a task oriented engineer, you care about what to build as well as how you build it. Our team is lean and data-driven, and we need you to keep our data world up to speed with our product development.
Our mission gets you out of bed and jazzes you up. You get that working at a startup means your work bleeds outside the edges of a job title. When you’re interested you deep dive and tell your friends. You like the tension between craft and shipping. That data isn't readily accessible and answers aren't at our fingertips hurts your heart.
It’s not easy to give millions of Americans a dollar an hour raise. You’ll play a key role in helping to develop the ability to gain insights into our product and own the architecture and development of significant parts of the data platform. Specifically, we'll rely on you to handle day-to-day challenges including:
Writing ETL and scheduling ETL jobs to optimize the data warehouse for analytics and machine learning.
- Using your critical thinking and experience to contribute to data architecture and models
Supporting the data warehouse in identifying and revising reporting requirements.
Writing maintainable, efficient code.
Working with business stakeholders to help define and refine requirements.
- Making all this work at scale so working Americans can keep more of what they earn.
This is a rare opportunity to join a team with a powerful mission early enough to see your fingerprints shape the product and the company for years to come.
You’ll get to work directly with our repeat entrepreneur founders and the rest of Alice’s high-performance team. Our team has experience from awesome places like Adobe, CBS, Handshake, and Upserve. We’re backed by talented advisors from Grand Central Tech, and notable investors like Bain Capital, Notation Capital, and Trinity Ventures.
Alice will make sure that you have…
- A culture that values your agency, autonomy, and the space it requires to build great things. You can use whatever tools make you most effective.
- A smart and supportive team who are dedicated to our mission and to setting you up to reach your full potential.
- A professional development stipend to invest in ongoing growth, learning, development.
- Competitive salary, 401K match, healthcare, and vacation benefits.
You'll be a perfect fit for joining our team if...
You want to go back to a Series A stage startup or you are *super* ready to be challenged at your first startup.
You're proficient in SQL and python, as well as development tools including git and linux/unix command line
You have experience across the data stack - warehouses, BI tools and cloud services.
- You've used DAG frameworks like dbt and Airflow and can explain what they are to an eighth grader
You think money is an important challenge in the lives of everyone and you want to solve that for people especially hourly workers.
You pride yourself on your ability to communicate complex concepts or code to anyone who’ll listen, whether they’re technical or not.
You're able to work in a fast paced environment and can manage multiple simultaneous priorities.
You're comfortable operating with minimal data and you're prepared to ask for help.
- Bonus points if you have experience interpreting data, analyzing results using statistical techniques, and/or development of dashboards for BI
- More bonus points if you have familiarity with CI/CD tools and productionalising code