Data Engineer at Built In
Built In unites companies and people around their shared passion for tech and the universal need for purpose. To help our partners attract qualified talent, we create content that tells their story in a way no job post ever could — and we put their jobs in front of people who were born to do them. Our audience of sought-after candidates use Built In to find their professional purpose and connect meaningfully to the tech community, including by reading our content, networking at our events and applying to jobs at companies they believe in.
Headquartered in Chicago, we also serve Los Angeles, Colorado, Austin, New York, Boston, Seattle, San Francisco, and Nationwide.
When you work for Built In, you have the opportunity to change lives by giving talented people access to purpose, not just a paycheck. And you’ll make an impact on some of the most exciting companies in tech, helping them hire their next wave of elite talent. Be part of Built In, and be part of the future of tech.We're looking for a Data Engineer (Chicago HQ or Remote)
The Data Engineer works on the back-end of our platform, focused on building data pipelines that power our Job, Company and other search, recommendation and personalization services. This work is often done with Python and intersects with the core systems written in Go and Vue; knowledge of both would be preferable, but Python is required. All Data Engineers should follow our engineering standards, including a commitment to unit-testing and to SOLID design principles.How you'll contribute
- Ownership of Built In’s Data Pipeline; this is the data that we pull from our home-built data pipeline and create analytics based on raw events.
- Must collaborate with other members of the engineering team, whether as mentor or mentee—especially via pair-programming.
- Is primarily expected to be an individual contributor, focused on writing and reviewing code.
- Must advocate for focus on technical debt in concert with execution of new features, and has an understanding that doing so allows our team to scale with the demands placed upon us in a stable and robust manner.
- Be passionate about programming and learning new technologies; focused on helping themselves and the team improve their skills.
- Must be comfortable with and supporting other other engineering teams by contributing to our service oriented architecture.
- 4+ years of experience within the field of data engineering or related technical work.
- Proven experience with Python. Understanding of Go.
- Experience with data warehousing and data pipeline tools (examples being Snowflake and Airflow).
- Exposure to principles of automated testing and commitment to testing as a way of producing robust code.
- Experience with Git and understanding of our basic workflow (branching for your own work; pull requests to commit work back).
- Experience with Unix on the command-line, whether via terminal in MacOS or directly on a version of Linux/*BSD, is greatly valued.
We’re revolutionizing tech recruitment. So we question everything, because the best answers sit just to the right of a question mark. That’s our heritage as a disruptive company — as a company whose future depends on our capacity to innovate with a sense of drive, purpose and urgency. If you join Built In, you will work from this set of values:
- Be Inclusive, Always. We’re committed to a culture where all people are respected, have a say and can be their whole selves. We will uplift and advocate for one another. Always.
- Be Unreasonably Passionate. Our passion is borderline obsessive, and we’re ok with that. No one ever built anything great on a “meh.” We work with outsized passion to fulfill our mission.
- Be Humble. You don’t have all the answers. Luckily, you don’t have to. Don’t worry about being right. Be humble instead.
- Stay Curious. Curiosity is a springboard to the future. It can transform the wisp of an idea into a breakthrough. We ask “what if.” We work with wonder. It’s how we innovate.
- Lead with Solutions. Question everything. But offer solutions as you do. Raise issues. But propose a few answers. For every hole you poke, offer a way to patch it up.
- Own the Result. We have no time for blame or shame. When you stumble, own it, learn from it + get back to business.
- Do More. Do more than your job description. Take initiative. Take charge. No job is beneath you, and no job is too big. Be a leader and do more — do whatever it takes.
Built In is an equal employment opportunity employer and values diversity. Qualified candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, military or veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law