Data Platform Engineer
About the Role:
We're looking for someone who is passionate about building large scale data processing systems and motivated to make an impact in creating a robust and scalable data platform used by every team. You will jump into an early stage team that builds the data transport, collection and orchestration layers. You will help shape the vision and architecture of WeWork's next generation data infrastructure, making it easy for developers to build data-driven products and features. You are responsible for developing a reliable infrastructure that scales with the company’s incredible growth. Your efforts will allow accessibility to business and user behavior insights, using huge amounts of WeWork data to fuel several teams such as Analytics, Data Science, Sales, Revenue, Product, Growth and many others as well as empowering them to depend on each other reliably. You will be a part of an experienced engineering team and work with passionate leaders on challenging distributed systems problems. We value empathetic collaborators and are looking forward to welcoming your contribution to the team.
About the Team:
Data is at the core of our business, providing insights into the effectiveness of our products and enabling the technology that powers them. We build and operate the platform used by the rest of the company for storage, streaming and batch computation and to train ML models. We’re building an ecosystem where consumers and producers of data can depend on each other safely. We thrive to build high quality systems we can be proud to open source and an amazing experience for our users and ourselves.
- Build and maintain high-performance, fault-tolerant, secure, and scalable data platform
- Lead development of high leverage projects and capabilities of the platform
- Partner with architects and business leaders to design and build robust services using storage layer, streaming and batch data
- Thinking through long-term impacts of key design decisions and handling failure scenarios
- Form a holistic understanding of tools, key business concepts (data tables), and the data dependencies and team dependencies
- Help drive Storage layer and API features roadmap, be responsible in the overall engineering(design, implementation and testing)
- Building self-service platforms to power WeWork’s Technology
- 5-7+ years of experience
- Experience shipping several high quality of complex software's release.
- Able to dive deep when talking about dynamic data infrastructures - RDBMS, Columnar Databases, NoSQL and File-based storage solutions
- Experience with Query execution optimization (Columnar storage, push downs): Hive, Presto, Parquet, …
- Strong foundation in algorithms and data structures and their real-world use cases.
- Strong troubleshooting and performance tuning skills.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills and an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Strong understanding of distributed systems concepts and principles (consistency and availability, liveness and safety, durability, reliability, fault-tolerance, consensus algorithms)
- When thinking about Big Data processing you are not just experienced with Spark, Hadoop, Storm, Flink or Apache Beam. You know under the hood implementations on these frameworks.
- Strong Experience with one or more of the following technologies:
- Distributed logging systems (Kafka, Pulsar, Kinesis, etc)
- IDL: Avro, Protobuf or Thrift
- MPP databases (Redshift, Vertica, …)
- Workflow management (Airflow, Oozie, Azkaban, ...)
- Cloud storage: S3, GCS, …
- 3+ years experience in leadership roles or engineering management.
- Experience in open source development
- Data warehouse tooling
WeWork is the platform for creators. We provide beautiful workspace, an inspiring community, and meaningful business services to tens of thousands of members around the world. Our mission is to create a world where people work to make a life, not just a living. WeWork members are creators who run the gamut from entrepreneurs, freelancers, and startups, to artists, small businesses and even divisions of large corporations. Beyond providing workspace for our members, we actively look for opportunity to provide services and experiences to foster an engaged and growing community of creators. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.