Data Science Manager at Simon Data
Simon Data was founded in 2015 by a team of successful serial entrepreneurs. We're a data-first marketing platform startup, and we approach our work seriously; we tackle problems in a scrappy and disruptive fashion, yet we build for scale to support our clients at big data volume.
We are the first and only enterprise customer data platform with a fully-integrated marketing cloud. Moving beyond the limitations of both categories, Simon’s platform empowers businesses to use enterprise-scale big data and machine learning to power customer communications in any channel. Simon’s unique approach allows brands to develop incredible personalization capabilities without needing to build and maintain massive bespoke data infrastructure.
Our culture is rooted in organizational transparency, empowering individuals, and an attitude of getting things done. If you want to be a valuable contributor on a team that champions these core values we would love to hear from you.The Role
Does your perfect job involve leading a team of hardworking data scientists responsible for the ML models driving core functionality? As well as one in which success in your role will be essential to the company? Simon is looking for a thoughtful data science manager to partner with all parts of the business and do just that.
As a successful leader in this role, you'll use your intimacy with the business' goals to help structure sprint team memberships quarter over quarter as well as manage programs. Drawing upon years of experience as a data scientist, you will collaborate individually with your team members to develop their statistical and engineering skills. You will act as a coach, guide, and recruiter as you build a team of influential data scientists who are role models to their peers in both exemplifying our values & competencies as well as consistently delivering high impact business value.
We move quickly (multiple deploys throughout the day) and constantly work to reduce waste as well as structure ourselves around the most important goals for the business. Our data science team currently comprises roughly 7 data scientists of diverse backgrounds and skill sets.What You'll Do
- Lead a multi-functional team of junior to staff data scientists to help them grow the next generation of the company’s platform
- Contribute to building and delivering resource allocations targeted to continue driving the engineering organization forward
- Drive growth of the team by playing a pivotal role in finding, attracting and hiring talented individuals to Simon
- Collaborate with the leadership team to produce plans for team personal development, growth, and sustained value
- Lead critical processes, scale our architecture, or lead design decisions
- 3+ years of management experience
- 3+ years of engineering experience as a data scientist or data engineer & comfort with at least one mainstream programming language (Python, Java, Scala, C#, Ruby, etc.), and one statistical programming environment (Jupyter/pandas, Tensorflow, RStudio, etc.)
- M.S. in a statistical/quantitative field, or equivalent professional experience
- Proven ability to successfully lead teams & projects
- Reasonable exposure to & understanding of some form of Agile or modern program management
- Strong communication skills
- A fervent appreciation for organization
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A passion for working with data
- Thoughtful, curious and a problem solver
- Personable, collaborative, and a sense of humor
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer open to all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or expression, Veteran status, or any other legally protected status.