Data Scientist, Consumer Analytics at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway is transforming the way modern women get dressed and disrupting the $2.4 trillion global fashion industry by enabling women to rent, versus buy, clothing. Founded in 2009 with a vision to build the world’s first living closet, RTR believes that women everywhere will soon have a subscription to fashion. Rent the Runway has pioneered a new industry by transforming the traditional model of clothing consumption, making apparel rental an indispensable utility while also powering women to feel their best every day. RTR offers apparel, accessories and home decor from over 700 designer partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, Rent the Runway has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times.
About the Team:
Data is core to our growing business and has been ingrained in the company's DNA since its founding. The Consumer Analytics team is part of the Data Science engine that powers our data-driven culture. We extract meaning from RTR’s many, rich customer interactions and partner with decision makers in Growth, Product, Marketing, and Finance to turn insights into actions. Our team of well-rounded data scientists manages data models, defines and analyzes performance metrics, builds reporting, runs A/B experiments, and develops statistical models.
About the Job:
As a Data Scientist on the Consumer Analytics team, you will collaborate with cross-functional partners on a wide range of complex problems. You’ll use data to help grow and evolve the rental products that exist today and your insights will help shape the company roadmap. You’ll be responsible for driving insights that support decision-making in the consumer space. This role will support both acquisition and retention efforts across all channels and platforms including online and offline, paid and organic, on-site and in-app.
- Apply expertise in quantitative analysis to see beyond the numbers and extract actionable insights on how our customers use our different services and derive value
- Build statistical models that describe and predict user behavior
- Frame up and administer A/B tests and experiments aimed at improving KPI performance (conversions, churn, etc.)
- Design and evaluate experiments that impact user behavior. Diagnose and communicate root causes of changes in user behavior metrics
- Develop a keen understanding of how our acquisition strategies impact loyalty and how we should allocate our resources or evolve the product as a result
- Build dashboards to showcase and disseminate key insights throughout organization
- Create reusable datasets with appropriate architecture using our complex data pipeline
- Partner with the business and engineering to ensure that we are collecting appropriate data and are utilizing the appropriate frameworks to analyze our performance
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Technology, Business or related fields; advanced degrees and/or specializations a plus
- 3-5+ years experience with emphasis on statistical analysis (designing and conducting experiments, performing quantitative analyses, testing scientific hypotheses, etc.)
- Experience coding in statistical or scripting computer languages such as Python or R
- High proficiency using relational databases and writing queries in SQL
- Experience with consumer, subscription, and/or eCommerce data is highly preferred
- Experience with business intelligence tools such as Tableau or Looker
- Track record of building strong relationships with cross-functional partners
- Ability to communicate effectively with wide-range of audiences
- Ability to quickly learn new tools and data analysis methods
- Passion for data and its fundamental ability to create value
- Extremely curious and excited to dive into complex problems
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the happiness and wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Generous Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun! .
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- Industry leading 401k match - an investment in your future.