Data Scientist- Data Signals at Cityblock Health
Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
We are looking for a Data Scientist with natural language processing (NLP) experience to join the Cityblock Data Signals team. You will work closely with other data scientists on the team to develop cutting-edge information extraction techniques from unstructured clinical data to enhance our knowledge base about our member population. You will also work with stakeholders across the organization to develop your own predictive modeling and machine learning intelligence on Cityblock data to develop innovative, scalable solutions that address key business, operational, clinical, and product use cases.
Your work may inform decisions across our Growth, Market Operations, and Clinical teams or you might develop data-powered solutions for Commons, our digital care management platform. Commons enables our clinical teams to engage with patients, collect data about medical, behavioral and social needs, and develop personalized care plans that drive good health. Your solutions may be deployed as part of product features in Commons or help guide product development for machine intelligence-driven scale.
We are looking for a curiosity-driven and solution-oriented team player with a keen interest in people to develop solutions to problems that matter. You are eager to take on the entire model development workflow. You get and prepare data, you build and deploy models. You assess the performance of your solutions and you work with users and stakeholders to ensure that your solutions meet business and product objectives.
We value experimentation and a question-oriented and hypothesis-driven approach to data. We look for an ability to make pragmatic decisions about trade offs in a fast-paced environment (e.g., development speed vs. code quality). We believe that clear communication is key to success, you will contribute to evangelizing the meaningful use of data science and machine learning across the organization.
If you’re inspired by such a challenge and are an amazing teammate, we’d love to hear from you!
- Develop data science and machine learning solutions and prototypes. We use SQL, python and R, but we are open to whatever tool is most appropriate for a task
- Serve as the team expert on extracting information from unstructured data using natural language processing (NLP) techniques
- Be ready to guide or own the model development workflow from data ingestion and preparation to model development and deployment to quality assurance
- Work cross functionally and take part in user research to understand business, operational, clinical, and product needs as well as end user concerns
- Help identify meaningful opportunities for data science and machine learning that address key business, operational, clinical, and product use cases to make a real contribution to Cityblock
- Help guide data-informed tactical and strategic decision making across the organization
- Help guide the development of Commons from a data perspective including Mixer, our data pipeline
- Learn continuously via mentorship and on your own in search of the right solution to the problem at hand, no one knows everything
- Become deeply familiar with medical data (e.g., medical claims data)
- Develop productive relationships across the organization and evangelize the meaningful use of data science and machine learning across the organization
Requirements for the Role:
- You have a PhD in a technical or scientific field and at least 1 year of industry experience OR you have 3+ years of experience in a data science or machine learning role with 1+ years of prototyping or applied research experience.
- You have worked with big-ish data and you are very comfortable with at least one programming language for data processing and model development (e.g., python).
- You have worked with state-of-the-art NLP techniques such as BERT
- You can flexibly choose the right approach, model, and tool for a given challenge
- You have strong analytical and problem-solving skills. You take a critical approach to data and are mindful of the responsibilities that come with technologies that drive scale.
- You are curious and playful with an ability to handle ambiguity. You enjoy identifying, scoping, and developing solutions with limited guidance, you have good product sense.
- You enjoy explaining complex concepts to technical and non-technical audiences, and you are excellent at it.
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- You have experience building health technology and/or manipulating health data
- You have prior experience with unstructured clinical data (e.g. clinical notes from EHR)
- You have prior experience with Google Cloud Platform and Docker
- You have previous exposure to clinical operations and/or working with physicians
- You have worked in fast-moving startup environments
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.