Data Scientist, Growth
Data Scientists are the backbone of every team at Squarespace. We gauge performance and identify opportunities across the Marketing, Product, Finance, and Strategy divisions.
We’re looking for a Data Scientist to join the Growth Analytics team to explore the critical period when people first engage with our product. What are the evolving needs of customers who make websites? What determines their success and failure? In this role, you will create data sets, design analysis, develop models, run tests, and provide rigorous reporting to influence our product roadmap. Strong candidates are self-starters, focused on impact, and have the skill to understand customers and drive business growth. You should demonstrate sharp critical thinking, intellectual curiosity, data fluency, and a collaborative work ethic.
This role is within the greater Strategy department and reports to the Manager of Growth Analytics in New York.
Depending on your area of focus, questions you may tackle in a typical day include:
- How do customers learn to use our product? When do they get confused? What paths do users take through our product and how should that influence our product development roadmap?
- What kinds of customers use our product, and how do these differences influence their preferences?
- How can we provide small businesses with tools to be more successful?
- How should we define “success” of the launch of a new product and why?
- What product experiences should we design and test to evaluate lift in key business metrics from product offering, pricing, and core design changes?
- Empower data-driven decision-making across the org by defining analytical frameworks to guide key product decisions
- Surface insights from terabytes of user, product, and marketing data; create and refine reports to illuminate business performance
- Formulate innovative hypotheses; and design and implement A/B tests to evaluate and launch features based on them
- Work closely with product teams to implement compelling recommendations
- Utilize cutting-edge modeling techniques to further the org’s understanding of consumer behavior
- Collaborate with Data Engineering to identify and build tools and infrastructure that helps us make better data driven decisions, faster (such as event pipelines, synthetic events, Python packages)
- Continuously seek out opportunities to further develop your analytical, communication, statistical, and programming toolkits
- 2+ years of relevant analytical experience working with data or MS in a relevant technical field (experience working with Product organizations a plus)
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Comfort and expertise communicating effectively with a wide-range of audiences (such as product managers, engineers, business development managers, occasionally executives)
- Strong ability to devise data-driven solutions to business problems
- Ability to drive impact by thoughtfully tackling open-ended problems
- Strong data intuition and ability to think probabilistically
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of SQL
- Fluency in a scripting language (Python preferred)
- A plus: experience implementing systems in production at scale
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people — from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world’s most iconic businesses — to share their stories with the world. Squarespace’s team of more than 900 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Equity plan
- 401(k) plan with employer match
- Free lunch and snacks
- Dog-friendly workplace
- And more
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.