Data Scientist II at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we're not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we're driving excellence and improving outcomes. We're treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
MSK will require all new hires, volunteers, and vendors who come onsite to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. This is based on the COVID-19 vaccines' high level of protection and our shared responsibility in protecting our patients.
WHAT WILL YOU WORK ON?
The Tech Incubation team aspires to transform cancer care through technical innovation. We experiment with new technologies in a variety of breakthrough domains to help shape MSK's digital transformation. The team operates on an agile product model and consists of a multidisciplinary group of designers, engineers , and data scientists. Our activities range from basic tech research to proof of concept and design work, to piloting new technologies in production clinical and business environments. We also reach beyond institutional walls to forge collaborations with academic, startup, and established industry partners to accelerate and augment these activities.
WHAT WILL YOU WORK ON?
As a Data Scientist on the Tech Incubation team, you will employ statistical methodologies on a diverse set of data to solve novel problems, build software, and create actionable insights. As part of the team, you will work at a high level of complexity alongside engineers and designers to build proof of concepts and products that impact a wide range of people.
- Works on research, analysis, and applies statistical methods building models, when necessary, through training, testing and validating in order to deploy proof of concepts.
- Meets with team and relevant stakeholders to understand business needs, often conceptual, and translates business needs into analytics tasks and presents results and recommendations aimed at satisfying those business needs
- Assists the data science team in the development of departmental strategy, particularly analytic strategy, and helps provide insights and direction of the team's vision.
- Makes interpretations and connects results with business needs by tackling questions and exploring new innovative approaches.
- Conducts research into new technologies, frameworks and modeling practices
- Passionate about ideating and creating new project ideas that explore novel technologies and their application
- Works closely with designers and product managers to scope and deliver projects in an agile setting
- Serves as a mentor to junior data scientists, stakeholders, and other team members on best practices and innovative data science solutions
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- 3-5 years of data science experience, preferably on an Agile team
- Experience querying with large data and cloud computing (preferred)
- Solid understanding of data structures, algorithms, software architecture, TDD
- Skilled at partnering with non-technical stakeholders to turn vague business problems into crisp analytical projects
- Act as a storyteller, synthesizing knowledge from a variety of sources and able to clearly communicate complex topics to different audiences
- Curious and self-motivated, thrive when working autonomously.
- Experience with a variety of machine learning algorithms in building, training, testing, and validating them
- Able to conduct analyses using R, Python or similar language
- Able to build dashboards using Tableau or similar BI tool
- Solid understanding of common statistical methods especially regression models & probability
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.