Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the role:
Data Scientists at Rent the Runway create data products that have tangible effects on our customer experience and internal operations. You will own projects end to end, from framing which problems to tackle through transforming information from our complex data ecosystem into actionable insights, and ultimately building & integrating products into our network of services in collaboration with our engineering & product teams.
Your work will impact all parts of our business: predicting future demand, determining what inventory assortment to buy, personalizing the onboarding experience, predicting whether a garment will fit a customer before they try it on, optimally pricing clothing rentals and sales, establishing the right network of warehouses to best serve our customers, investigating how we can improve customer service by serving the right information at the right time, etc.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on a team of peers in an environment that will keep you constantly challenged and learning new things every day.
- Develop and deploy performant algorithms powering customer-facing applications that are core to our business and success.
- Collaborate closely in an equal partnership with our business, product and engineering teams.
- Have a significant voice both in what you work on and how the work is carried out.
- You have 5+ years work experience building data products, preferably with python, and integrating them into internal and customer-facing applications in production environments.
- You have a strong academic background in a quantitative field, for example computer science, engineering, mathematics, physics, statistics, etc.
- You have experience working with a broad range of machine learning models to solve a wide variety of business problems. Bonus points for deep experience with recommender systems and other forms of personalization and e-commerce optimization.
- You're able and desire to own your projects end-to-end, from data wrangling and pipelining to exploration and analysis, modeling, experimentation, production implementation and monitoring, and communication with stakeholders.
- You have a passion for data and its ability to drive serious business impact.
- You have experience transforming vague problems into algorithmic solutions.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You have an owner’s mindset and a bias to action. No job is too big or too small.
- You have an innate curiosity and an open mind.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.