Data Scientist at Orchard
Orchard is radically simplifying the way people buy and sell their homes. For the average American, the home purchase and sale process takes months, creates anxiety, and is filled with uncertainty and hassle. Orchard has reimagined the end-to-end experience of buying and selling, from innovative home search tools to find the perfect home to the ability to buy a new home before selling your current one. Orchard customers manage the entire experience through a personalized online dashboard, while also getting the support of best-in-class Orchard real estate agents.
Headquartered in New York City and with offices throughout Texas, Colorado, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia, Orchard has over 400 employees and growing. We have raised over $130 million in equity financing from top-tier investors including Revolution, Firstmark, Accomplice, Navitas and Juxtapose. Our investors have also backed the likes of Pinterest, AirBnb, Shopify and Sweetgreen. Orchard is proud to be recognized as part of Glassdoor’s Best Places to Work.
About the Role
Orchard's Data Science team is responsible for building the predictive models that help our underwriters make intelligent decisions when valuing homes. We use our skills in statistics, applied mathematics, computer science, and software engineering to value off-market real estate as accurately as possible. We also develop algorithms that power Orchard's consumer search capabilities, using computer vision to identify home features and enable a new kind of home discovery.
We are currently seeking a driven, results-oriented Data Scientist to join our team. The ideal candidate is pragmatic and has a good understanding of what techniques will provide the most value for a specific problem. This position requires strong statistical programming skills, a demonstrated ability of independent curiosity and a commitment to excellence while working within a team. You’ll report to the Senior Manager, Data Science and be based out of our NY office or Austin office.
What You’ll Do Here:
- Incorporate first-party and third-party data in order to continually refine and improve our home valuations over time, using techniques as simple as linear regression and as complex as neural networks, whatever delivers the best result.
- Assist in development of new computer vision projects in order to identify home features for use by both valuation models and customer home search.
- Partner with product and marketing teams in order to assist identifying and converting potential customers through modeling internal and external data sources.
- Continuously look for opportunities to improve existing processes and models in order to keep Orchard’s valuation and marketing models as the industry standard.
We’d Love to Hear From You if You Have:
- Relevant internship experience and/or 1 year of experience in a Data Science role
- BA/BS degree in a quantitative discipline (Computer Science, Math, Statistics, Physics or Engineering) or comparable demonstrated experience in Data Science
- Demonstrated proficiency with Python
- Familiarity with relational database query and development in SQL
- Familiarity with machine learning concepts and implementation is a plus
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Ability to talk to stakeholders in order to understand business needs, run small tests to validate assumptions, and refine requirements based on results
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in order to develop and maintain strong working relationships with members across the Orchard organization
We're proud to be recognized by Glassdoor, Inc. Magazine, Fast Company and Forbes on their lists of best places to work. We also have a 4.8 Glassdoor rating! Orchard is building the first one-stop-shop in real estate and we’re bringing together the most innovative professionals across real estate, business, marketing, technology and design. We also have some pretty great perks:
- Equity participation
- Flexible PTO
- Up to 18 weeks of paid family leave
- Employee discount on Orchard’s services
We're currently working from home until it's safe for employees to return to the office. We anticipate returning later this year and are excited to welcome people back to our offices and see one another in person. Until then, your interviews will all happen virtually. If there is anything we can do to make your process easier, don't hesitate to let us know!
Orchard is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law.