At Rent the Runway, our mission is to make women feel empowered and self-confident every single day by combining best in class technology, logistics, and customer service. Since our launch in 2009, we’ve developed proprietary technology, a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation, stores of the future, a viral brand, relationships with hundreds of fashion designers - and we are passionate about continuing to innovate our customer experience. We have pioneered the closet in the cloud and believe that every person globally will soon have a subscription to fashion. We are proud to be both a profitable and fast-growing business, with 11 million members of our community who believe that rental is the future.
About the Job:
Rent the Runway has a complex data ecosystem that spans web and infrastructure logs, transactions and recurring subscription behavior, and tracking each inventory unit and throughput of our home grown reverse logistics rental operations.
Data systems power critical business decisions - from inventory assortment to operational efficacy, from marketing actions to personalized website features and customer experience enhancements - and we want to scale the data science function across all these vectors.
What You'll Do:
- Mine the data ecosystem & find fruitful signals
- Develop and deploy performant algorithms powering applications
- Examples of applications include consumer-facing recommendation engines, inventory allocation systems, and internal apps for inventory buying and customer experience
- Do bleeding-edge work including optimizing how products fit customers (unsolved as of yet), using AI techniques for inventory buying, and real-time streaming/model computations
- Strong academic background in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or a related quantitative/engineering field
- Experience developing software or data products, particularly in Python, our go-to language
- We also use R for ad-hoc modeling and analysis. Some understanding of java, the main language for our back-end systems, is a plus
- Passion for data and its ability to drive serious business impact
- Ability to work independently and take responsibility in a function that is growing in strength but is also core to the company’s growth