Data Scientist at Better.com
We’re one of the fastest growing homeownership companies in America. Why? Because we’re building a better way to get home and our customers love it. By combining smarter technology with an award-winning team of mortgage experts, we’re making homeownership so simple it feels magical.
So far, we’ve:
- Helped more than 10,000 families get home
- Financed over $3B in loans
- Saved families an average of $32,000 in fees over the life of their loans
- Grew our geographic coverage to 36 states, up from 15 states from a year ago
And we’re not slowing down. We continue to outpace the rest of the industry at every turn.
Our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, IA Ventures, Ally Bank, American Express, and others have invested over $150MM in Better and our vision of making homeownership magical.
A Better opportunity:
Help us hack a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a product that will allow more people than the status quo to own a home and build wealth rather than rent for life. Our tech team is small, and you will be a big part of defining the technical direction and culture. We encourage proposals for projects off the beaten path, experimentation with different frameworks and libraries, and doing as you see fit to solve problems. We also offer above-market compensation and equity, as well as full benefits.
Some projects you could be working on:
- Work closely with our product team to understand funnel drop off and come up with product ideas
- Work closely with the marketing team to optimize our acquisition funnel
- Present conclusions to the executive team that can impact the strategic direction of the company
- Build a lead scoring model to help our customer support team prioritize.
- Model the time-lag of conversions using fun math like Gamma distributions
- Design an experiment to understand the causal impact of an outbound phone call on conversion rates
- Build web scrapers to track price data for other mortgage lenders
- Migrate our data warehouse to Redshift
- Work on our underwriting engine, which turns out to be NP-complete and can be posed as a mixed integer programming problem
- Transcribe all our phone calls using speech-to-text and figure out ways to optimize customer support.
- We do continuous deployment and we ship code 50-100 times every day
- The data stack is all in Python 3.6
- We use Node.js, Python and Scala for services
- Postgres for the database
- Kubernetes, for deployment and devops
- AWS for infrastructure, leveraging EC2, S3, SWF, CloudFront, Route53, and much more
- The tech team is currently 30 engineers but growing quickly
- Erik Bernhardsson (CTO) used to run the data team and the music recommendation team at Spotify. He is the open source author of a few popular projects like Annoy and Luigi and writes a blog about (mostly) data
Things we value:
- Curiosity. Why? How? Repeat.
- Nerdiness. Financial news and trends are fascinating. Seriously.
- Relentlessness. No one here gives up. We try. We fail. We try again.
- Passion. If you don’t get excited about homeownership, mortgages, and real estate, it simply won’t work.
- Smarts: book and street. We have to use all the tools at our disposal to build Better.
- Empathy and Compassion. You understand that people's biggest dreams are in your hands.
- Communication. Can you ask for help or put your hand up when you don’t understand?
- Building. Doing. Making. Yes, we have to do a lot of thinking and talking to figure this stuff out, but you can’t wait to leave the conversation and build it