Database Engineering Director at Grubhub
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
More About the Role
We are looking for a Principal-level Site Reliability Engineer to join our Database Engineering Organization which focuses on our stateful systems. These systems handle hundreds of thousands of requests per second, with strict reliability and stability requirements. In this role, you'll be in a leadership role. You will drive and lead the technical direction for this area. The system is comprised of over one thousand Cassandra nodes, extremely high throughput Elasticsearch clusters, a Kafka backbone, and distributed caching clusters, all across multiple Amazon regions. This team works day in and day out on some of the most complex distributed systems problems and is the engineering organization's bedrock.
The Impact You Will Make
- Building a system for providing self-service management of caching clusters
- Raising the top-line reliability of Grubhub by building solutions to make stateful data stores more reliable under heavy load. This could include client-side or server-side rate-limiting solutions.
- Building complex automation systems to allow for large clusters to self-heal in cases of hardware failures
- Work across engineering to design scalable data models and designs.
What You Bring to the Table
- Experience as a Principal-level Site Reliability Engineer working on extremely high throughput systems. You should understand how to scale a distributed system, failure modes, monitoring, et cetera.
- Experience writing code that automates complex operations. We want someone who can write OO, testable code, not just scripts. We use Python, but experience in any similar language or a JVM based language is acceptable.
- Experience tuning the JVM. You should understand the various garbage collectors, how memory is managed, and how to get the best performance from a JVM based application.
- Experience with a NoSQL database. Bonus points if it is Cassandra. You should understand CAP theorem, tunable-consistency, et cetera. Not a lot of database experience is OK; we want a strong SRE who will dive deep and become an expert.
- Knowledge of the Linux kernel. You should be familiar with tools to debug performance at a system-call level.
- Experience leading and managing projects. You should understand how to take a multi-month project, break it down into manageable chunks, and execute without guidance.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it's safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.