Database Reliability Engineer at Stack Overflow
At Stack Overflow, our mission is to serve developers. Whether we’re helping developers get answers to their questions or find new jobs, we build products that make millions of developers’ lives better every day. Our goal is to create a community and a company where every developer feels welcome to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.
As a Database Reliability Engineer, you will join our team who maintain our on-prem Windows based SQL Server infrastructure which supports Stack Overflow, Stack Overflow for Teams, Stack Exchange, Talent, and our entire array of products. We have systems in two data centers, plus a growing presence in Azure. We’re looking for an experienced individual who will bring a DevOps mindset to database administration, always look for ways to automate manual tasks, and create repeatable, scalable systems, and processes. Candidates should have 3+ years of experience in a DBA or similar role.Skills and Requirements
We expect to see:
- Experience with SQL Server (we’re currently running SQL Server 2019)
- Experience with relational databases in large production environments
- Experience troubleshooting and resolving intermediate to complex database problems
- Experience with Performance Tuning and Optimization
- Excellent problem solving skills. You excel at analyzing and solving problems using technology.
- Self-motivating, self-directing and a great communicator.
We like to see (but not required):
- Experience with Always On Availability Groups is a plus
- Experience working remotely and/or working with teams that are distributed geographically.
- An active Stack Overflow or DBA Stack Exchange profile, example projects that you're proud of (whether open source or worked on at a previous job), or any other evidence of your passion for building great software.
- Knowledge of how Stack Overflow works from our blog and podcasts.
- Cloud/Azure experience
If you don’t meet all of these exact qualifications, we encourage you to apply anyway!
What you’ll get in return:
In the United States, benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- Stock options
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Employees will never be poked with a sharp stick
We’re a remote-friendly team. Whether you work remotely or work out of our New York office (re-opening June 2021 at the earliest due to COVID-19), you’ll be part of a remote work culture that emphasizes online communication (Slack, GitHub, Hangouts, Zoom, Stack Overflow for Teams). While we’re generally very flexible on working hours, living and working within GMT-7:00 to GMT+2:00 time zones (US through Europe) is required for scheduling and interaction with your team. We also believe in a strong work-life balance and are focused on making sure you have a positive work experience, in-office or remotely.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Overflow does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.#LIRemote