Great Jones is seeking an exceptional Director of Analytics to help us deliver excellence through highly accurate, accessible, and actionable data.
This is a central piece of our strategy, a core differentiator of our product and service delivery, and the fuel for our own decision-making and execution.
In this role, you will be a blend of a data & analytics leader and practitioner, heading up the Analytics team and reporting to top leadership.
You and your team will deliver insights while empowering others to do the same. Your work will also provide unrivaled visibility and analysis to our customers, leveraging increasingly advanced concepts and tools as we and our datasets grow.
Sample work could include:
- Translating operational processes and concepts (e.g., leasing, maintenance, vendor management), associated data, and additional instrumentation opportunities into data models and analytical frameworks that help us hone in on the biggest levers for performance improvement or efficiency gains, guiding subsequent investment decisions
- Designing and facilitating mechanisms for us to provide the right level of performance visibility to customer segments ranging from “accidental landlords” to funds deploying hundreds of millions of dollars’ worth of capital
- Identifying and targeting high-value prospective customers by connecting behavioral and demographic datasets to our existing customer and prospect engagement data
The ideal candidate will be excited to dig into rich data with a team that appreciates the value of modern data teams and workflows, thoughtful analysis, and strong cross-functional collaboration.
- Partner with our leadership team and other collaborators to deeply understand and prioritize questions and problems-to-solve across the business, then provide high-quality data, insights and experimentation support to drive goal attainment and strategy.
- Evolve our data platform using modern ELT workflow tools: Modeling, clearly defining, and creating access to source-of-truth data in a way that allows end users to answer many of their own questions -- which is a major lever for our analytically-minded team -- and positions us well to apply advanced analytics (e.g., data science / ML) to develop additional insights. We are currently rolling out Looker as the source-of-truth for dozens of employees, as well as some of our external customers.
- Clearly communicate your vision, roadmap, prioritization decisions, and insights to the full Great Jones team. Our analytics stack and output will be products that you and your team will own.
- Work with our Product and Engineering teams to deliver value to existing and prospective customers through data products that leverage your team’s work and insights.
- Over time, build and manage an A+ team (currently one BI Manager working closely with two data engineers). For now, you will be a true player-coach doing lots of hands-on, detailed work to make our data and analytics sing.
- 6-8+ years of experience working within modern analytics teams in high-growth, high-performance environments, including at least 2-3 years of team leadership.
- Experience owning the implementation of Looker (and potentially dbt); familiarity with cloud data pipelines (e.g., Fivetran, Stitch) and modern data warehouses (e.g., Redshift, BigQuery, Snowflake)
- Very strong SQL skills and the ability to own transformation and analysis, both hands-on and through managing your team
- Breadth of experience, likely including a variety of industries, business models, and analytical tools
- Strong partnership with engineers or architects to define upstream requirements and build out reporting ecosystems or, where relevant, data products
- Expertise and passion for experimentation and sound statistical inference
- Entrepreneurial self-starter who takes real ownership and delivers high-quality, ambitious work, always looking to improve further
- Truly excellent problem-solving ability and business judgment
- Ability to prioritize and align stakeholders around what matters most
- Ability to tell a persuasive story and convey information to executive audiences in a digestible format, visually and in writing
- Enthusiastic hands-on, positive leader that consistently and personally demonstrates the values of empathy, teamwork, and collaboration, with the proven ability to recruit, manage, and retain A+ players
- Nice-to-have: Experience applying modern data science, machine learning, AI, or predictive analytics tools
- Nice-to-have: A background in consulting or finance
About Great Jones:
Great Jones brings ease and performance to rental ownership and living, starting by reinventing property management for the several trillion (!) dollars in rental homes owned by small-scale investors.
We’re replacing an experience that has historically been heavily operational, low-tech, and stressful with one delivered through modern software, thoughtful experience design, real benefits of scale, and the right blend of local & centralized operations.
By providing a seamless, full-service experience for owners and residents, we aim to make ownership worry-free and more profitable for the 25 million Americans who own rental homes. In doing so, we become the operating system around our owners’ most valuable investments, as well as our residents’ homes.
And we’re doing this within an enormous addressable market, with highly attractive unit economics, where competition is deeply fragmented and notorious for subpar service.
We are growing rapidly with nationwide expansion on deck -- headquartered in Manhattan with on-the-ground operations in 20 markets across 9 states.
Our leadership team has built digital platforms and operational machines that have powered hundreds of millions of dollars' worth of transactions for marketplace businesses like 1stdibs, Skillshare, and Warby Parker.
We’ve raised over $30 million (including our recently closed Series B) from top investors including Crosslink Capital, Navitas Capital, Zigg Capital, Juxtapose, and top NYC angels & real estate entrepreneurs including Kevin Ryan, David Rosenblatt, and Jason Finger, who have founded or led companies such as Seamless, Gilt Groupe, MongoDB, DoubleClick, 1stdibs, Floored, and others.