Director, Data Engineering at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
At Better, we’re passionate about democratizing the homeownership process. To realize our mission we’ve started to build a world-class Data Organization to fuel insights and innovation across the business, craft a better product vision, and leverage machine learning and automation at every step of the way.
We’re looking for a Director of Data Engineering to lead our growing Data Engineering organization and partner with a variety of cross-functional leaders to build a mature, data-driven organization. In this role, you’d oversee all facets of data engineering - from our Machine Learning Platform, Data Platform, and Analytics Platform teams, to our Embedded Data Engineering teams. These teams provide the foundation for data across the entire business and enable every data customer at Better to access, transform, and use data. We’ve only just begun to lay the groundwork for scalable data infrastructure, machine learning model deployment, and real-time data systems and are looking for a leader to take us to the next level.
Join us as we look to reinvent a thirteen trillion dollar industry by building a tech-enabled product that will allow more people to own a home that they love. This is an opportunity to join during a rapid & critical stage of growth and help shape our technical architecture and culture that will be a foundation for years to come.
What you’ll do:
- Hire, develop, and lead a team of software engineers and data engineers spanning data & analytics platforms, ML development / production, experimentation platform and embedded units within other product and engineering groups
- Partner across our Engineering, Data Science & Analytics, and Business teams
- Provide technical leadership across these teams
- Build a world-class data and analytics platform that supports thousands of users across the Better organization
- Work across Engineering to help instill best practices around data, machine learning deployment, and experimentation
- Build real-time services that support our understanding of Better users and help to power machine learning and experimentation
- 6+ years of managing teams up to 20+ data and software engineers building scalable data infrastructure
- Previous hands on data engineering experience as an individual contributor
- Experience overseeing teams that build data products and services for internal customers with extensive experience in large scale data environments
- Track record of working with open-ended questions and turning obscure problems into actionable solutions
- Hands on experience with significant subset cloud computing platforms (e.g. AWS, GCP), cloud based data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake, Redshift, BigQuery), BI Tools (e.g. Looker, Tableau), scheduling solutions (e.g. Prefect, Airflow), and infrastructure as code tools (e.g. Terraform, Ansible). Strong familiarity with overall cloud computing ecosystem.
- Experience with designing, deploying and integrating machine learning solutions in a production environment
- Experience with deploying production grade services at scale (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) and real-time event streaming (e.g. Kafka, Flink etc.)
- Collaborative, transparent, and driven work attitude
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or a similar quantitative field, and / or equivalent training
- Has managed autonomous and mature teams that have successfully managed enterprise-scale datalake transitions, self-serve analytics tooling, data security and compliance, and vendor negotiations and management
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.