The Data Engineering team develops modern data architecture approaches to meet key business objectives and provides end-to-end data solutions in a cloud native environment. Our industry leading distributed platform of networked devices, brings in a unique set of challenges around data engineering and distributed systems.
Reporting to the VP of Data, this role, you will build and lead a team of talented engineers that build big data pipelines and services using distributed computing tools, such as Spark, Flink, MapReduce, and Hadoop. These data pipelines are used to power experimentation, machine learning models, and dashboards across a variety of domains, including product innovation, advertising, pricing, messaging, partnerships and such.
You will work closely with a cross-functional team of product engineers, data scientists, and business stakeholders to help grow Peloton. The data your team produces will be used to help make business decisions and inform future product strategy.
As a Director, Data Engineering, you might spend a few weeks with a team on a deep technical review, helping them understand the potential that data brings to solve their most pressing problems. With other teams, you might be acting as the architect, leading the design of technical solutions, or perhaps overseeing a program inception to build a new data product. It could also be a software delivery project where you'd be expected to code and lead the team to implement the solution.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to managers and individual contributors on the team.
- Develop strong relationships with data science, engineering, and business partners, and improve how we leverage data to grow Peloton.
- Expand your team by attracting diverse talent that can push our technical boundaries.
- Foster an inclusive environment, where all points of view are welcomed and encouraged.
- Be a thoughtful leader, and drive both technical and business priorities and roadmaps.
- Multiple years of experience leading engineering teams that design and build distributed systems.
- Experience hiring and mentoring high-caliber, data-focused engineers that have diverse technical strengths and backgrounds.
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for data. You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong business acumen, and interest in contributing to roadmaps and strategy discussions.
- Exceptional communication skills, and can translate technical concepts into easy-to-understand language for business partners.
- Familiarity with experimentation (i.e., A/B testing) and/or machine learning is a plus.
- You’re passionate about craftsmanship and have applied your expertise across a range of industries and organizations
- You have a deep understanding of data modelling and experience with data engineering tools and platforms such as Kafka, Spark, and Hadoop
- You have built large-scale data pipelines and data-centric applications using any of the distributed storage platforms such as HDFS, S3, NoSQL databases (Hbase, Cassandra, etc.) and any of the distributed processing platforms like Hadoop, Spark, Hive, Oozie, and Airflow in a production setting
- Hands on experience in MapR, Cloudera, Hortonworks and/or cloud (AWS EMR, Azure HDInsights, Qubole etc.) based Hadoop distributions
- You are comfortable taking data-driven approaches and applying data security strategy to solve business problems
- You’re genuinely excited about data infrastructure and operations with a familiarity working in cloud environments
Working with data excites you: you have created Big data architecture, you can build and operate data pipelines, and maintain data storage, all within distributed systems
Peloton is the largest interactive fitness platform in the world with a loyal community of more than 3 million Members. The company pioneered connected, technology-enabled fitness, and the streaming of immersive, instructor-led boutique classes for its Members anytime, anywhere.
Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that encourage its Members to be the best versions of themselves.
An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton has reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, and world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, creating a product that its Members love.
The brand's immersive content is accessible through the Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread, Peloton Bike+, Peloton Tread+, and Peloton App, which allows access to a full slate of fitness classes across disciplines, on any iOS or Android device, Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku TVs, and Chromecast and Android TV.
Founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City, Peloton has a growing number of retail showrooms across the US, UK, Canada and Germany. For more information, visit www.onepeloton.com