Cedar is a patient payment and engagement platform that elevates the total patient experience beyond clinical care. The platform leverages data science and technology to deliver modern intelligence to providers and simplify the healthcare experience for patients.
Cedar is improving the healthcare financial experience. Our technology improves the overall experience of patient billing and engagement, enabling providers to thrive in a constantly evolving environment while helping patients understand the cost of their care.
We are seeking a Director of Data Engineering who will be responsible for building and growing Cedar’s Data Engineering function. Cedar is growing rapidly and data is at the core of everything we do. We build analytics for our clients and our teams to inform the product development process. We tell stories about all aspects of the patient journey and use quantitative analyses to explain patient behavior. We run experiments to test our various hypotheses and iterate using our results. We build models to drive better decision-making, both within our organization and for our clients in the healthcare industry.
As Cedar’s Director of Data Engineering you will own the data pipelines for both analytics and our integrations while partnering with our Data Science organization to strengthen and speed up research and decision making. You will succeed in this role if you are a hands on leader who has experience building data pipelines and managing a team of data engineers.
* Cedar is committed to a flexible work environment, so this as well as many of our roles are remote friendly.
- Establish a Data Engineering function within Cedar while ensuring that best practices are socialized and implemented across engineering
- Manage and grow teams of data engineers, data analysts, and software engineers
- Provide leadership in building optimized data pipelines with scalability, efficiency and reliability
- Partner with leadership in Data Science, Engineering, Product and Implementation teams to understand data needs and transform these into usable data products
- Own Cedar’s data pipelines for analytics, Cedar’s platform and for our provider integrations
- Act as a hands on leader who will continue to build and optimize Cedar’s data pipelines and ETL process
Skills and Experience:
- Seasoned leader who can coach and grow other managers and oversee a large group (~15-20) of people across a variety of demands to deliver efficiently
- 6+ years experience in designing, building and maintaining data pipelines.
- Experience in data modeling and architecting data platforms
- Experience with scalable cloud based data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake, AWS Athena, Redshift)
- Experience with database scaling and optimization
- Experience with modern data pipeline/orchestration tools (e.g. Airflow)
- Ability to manage and communicate plans to internal teams (e.g. data warehouse plan)
- Demonstrates a passion for breaking down and understanding complex systems and data structures
- Excited about Cedar’s mission of improving the healthcare financial experience
- Encompasses Cedar’s core values: mission driven, no mediocrity, uses good judgement, positivity
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with Python applications
- Experience in the healthcare industry with an understanding of EMR/EHR systems
- Experience using Snowflake, Airflow and SQLAlchemy
- Strong understanding of data governance
- Experience with modern BI visualization tools like Looker
What do we offer to the ideal candidate?
- An opportunity to work on a platform that is scaling very rapidly, engaging with millions of patients per year and growing at a rate of 360% YoY as of January 2021
- A chance to join a high-growth company at an early stage
- The ability to impact the growth of our company, we value all comments and suggestions
- Transparency across teams and interaction with multiple departments
- Competitive pay, employer-paid healthcare, stock options
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Cedar will not hire any applicants for Director of Data Engineering who are present in the United States on an F-1 visa