Director of Data Science
Breather creates and curates a network of beautiful, on-demand private spaces that you can reserve and unlock via our web and mobile apps. We are live in 10 cities across 3 countries and backed by some of the best investors in NYC and Silicon Valley. We enable top companies to do more productive and inspired work and are growing quickly! We're venture-backed; we have big ambitions, and we want you to help us achieve them.
The data team at Breather consists of a diverse, multidisciplinary group of analysts, data engineers, and data scientists. We are looking for an experienced director of data science to lead, cultivate and grow the data team. Considering data’s role as a core strategic advantage for Breather, our ambitions are nothing short of building one of the best data teams on the planet for a company at our scale.
As Director of Data Science, you will:
- Lead the entire data function at Breather, with individual data scientists and head of BI as direct reports
- Create coherence across the data org as a whole, and make sure that there is collaboration and cross pollination of ideas and methods across all members of data team
- Identify and prioritize opportunities for data-driven solutions for the product strategy
- Define best practices and standards for data team, both technical and cultural
- Facilitate a culture of innovation, making space for offsites and blue sky thinking
- Update a high level, long term roadmap for the data team and make sure it is consistent with the overall product roadmap
- Consistently improve the quality of our analysis, and improve how it is communicated
- Connect with stakeholders and domain experts in all of Breather’s key functions, making sure there is an open channel for candid feedback.
- Mentor data scientists and head of BI, design a clear career growth path for each member
- Hire data scientists in key areas, continuing to increase talent density
- Align data strategy with our corporate strategy; use business acumen to ruthlessly prioritize competing projects
- Publish internal and external content to evangelize the insights generated from data insight
Helpful skills & experience you'll need to succeed:
- Multiple years leading a data function in industry
- Deep subject matter expertise in at least one field of data science - likely with advanced degree in said discipline
- Solid understanding of modern data infrastructure
- Excellent foundation in statistics and data collection best practices
- Ability to combine qualitative and quantitative insights
- Background in causal inference, epidemiology, or experimental design a plus
- Strong business and product intuition
- High EQ; empathic but candid
- Understanding of broad spectrum of methods and disciplines in data science, and the applicability of different techniques for different contexts, e.g. not just focused on deep learning
- Constantly learning/growth mindset
- Major plus: expertise in store/location placement and geospatial analysis (eg. Foot Locker)
What We Value
At Breather, our company values are not only the principles that link us together in the way we work, but they also keep us aligned on the same path, all working towards connected goals. These standards are what guide us on our collective journey through space(s).
Perks and Benefits
We hope that you're excited by all the possibilities that come with working at Breather! In addition to our unique culture, we also offer these fun perks and benefits:
- Be part of a well-funded, proven startup with big ambitions, competitive salary and company options
- Work when you want, where you want, with the tools you want
- Company-funded travel to conferences & professional development events that interest you and benefit your career growth
- Access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage. Oh, and it’s on us
- Free access to the Breather network of over 400 spaces (and growing, fast!)
- Dog friendly office - bring your dog to work, they’ll find plenty of friends waiting to play with them!
- A great referral program - good people know good people!