Director, Data Science
The Trade Desk is leading the way to the future of marketing by changing how advertising is bought and sold. Working with the largest brands and agencies around the world, our technology platform helps consumers discover products they want by enabling advertisers to target and reach them on the right channels at the right time.
Employees join The Trade Desk to discover opportunity, contribute to our customers’ success, and be part of building the future of marketing. You’ll work with creative, compassionate, and collaborative colleagues that share a passion for making the internet better for all – a combination that simply can't be beat.
When you join The Trade Desk, you’re joining a family. We have open space work environments, adjustable sitting/standing desks, and a celebrated open-door policy (at all levels) that can inspire out-of-the-box solutions and camaraderie among your coworkers. The competitive compensation packages, full benefits, stock options, and additional discounted stock purchase opportunities, catered lunches, and offsite team building activities may cause slight to severe jealousy among your peers.
Data Science at The Trade Desk
At The Trade Desk, the Data Science team is responsible for transforming our hundreds of terabytes of Real-Time Bidding (RTB) advertising auction data into actionable intelligence, using advanced modelling and optimization algorithms. Our mission is to develop new and powerful means of growing the value of our client’s campaigns across millions of web-based publishers.
Our team believes in innovation that contributes to our product. In this role, you will be a key member in the development of entirely new data products and the improvement of existing data, all while using world-class machine learning. You will interact primarily with our product, trading, and data engineering teams to oversee the implementation of your data products. Your ideas and research will contribute directly to our client facing product.WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Be an intellectually generous and collaborative leader, offering mentorship to team members on projects and helping them develop their own careers as data scientists
- Develop end-to-end machine learning prototypes that could scale to run in a production environment
- Contribute meaningful improvements to existing machine learning models through carefully directed research
- Maintain a focus on shipping product, understanding that oftentimes done is better than perfect
- Derive actionable insights from massive data sets with minimal support
- Provide input into the collection of new data sources and the refinement of existing ones to improve analysis and model development
- Become an expert on TTD’s client-facing platform
- Phenomenal mentor and people leader
- You are enthusiastic to learn (and teach) new technologies, machine learning techniques, and advancements in the adtech industry
- You are comfortable working on an agile, distributed team spanning multiple time zones and continents
- You have an abundance of intellectual curiosity
- You are able to deliver a convincing story derived from the data sets to both a technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience in advertising or publishing related industry a plus
- BS degree in a quantitative field (Masters and/or PhD welcome) and 10+years of professional experience in a data driven role working with massive data sets in the technology driven company, 2+ years in a leadership position
- You have a deep understanding of statistical machine learning and optimization techniques as well as the ability to derive actionable insights from massive data sets
- You're experienced inworking with big data technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Spark, AWS and be able to write efficient SQL
- You have experience in multiple programming languages (Python, R, Java, Scala, etc.)
The Trade Desk does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firm recruiters. Fees will not be paid in the event a candidate submitted by a recruiter without an agreement in place is hired; such resumes will be deemed the sole property of The Trade Desk. The Trade Desk is an equal opportunity employer. All aspects of employment will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.