Director of Research, Tech at CB Insights
About the IU Team:
Working on the Intelligence Unit is like having a front row seat to the future. There is no team quite like ours anywhere, inside or outside of tech. It's a unique opportunity to both work at a startup and spend your day analyzing the technologies, business models, companies, and market trends of tomorrow in your industry of interest. To do so, you will have full access to the CB Insights software platform and its billions of data points, which you will be immersed in every day. You will be surrounded by some of the most curious and driven people you will ever meet and held up to the highest standards every day.Your main tasks:
- Manage and develop a team of hungry and smart junior and senior analysts who have created industry-leading research on tech and innovation trends across key categories of interest to Fortune 500 clients. You will supervise the research calendar for the team and assignment queues across public, syndicated, and custom research deliverables.
- Direct data-driven research and reports that combine our proprietary data with outside data sets to identify key trends and analyze the momentum of fintech companies
- Manage and build a team of subject-matter experts and allocate resources so that we are always prepared for the heavy demands on our research
- Help align the team’s work with the interests of our clients and prospects. In some instances, you will have to lead client discussions and presentations in order to spotlight market trends in relevant verticals and technology areas.
- Become an expert in how our research and software platform integrate to put the power of our expert insights into the hands of clients and allow them to take our research and customize it further
- Help the team understand and develop forward-looking analyses and insights for top Tech themes including cybersecurity, IoT, automation, AI, and more (as well as help us ID future areas of focus)
- Support PR requests and media interest with data and category knowledge
- You should be passionate and knowledgeable about technology and be able to share and build on background in adjacent disciplines such as VC, corporate strategy, corporate finance, or M&A
- Flexible, team-oriented, and steeped enough in general business knowledge to collaborate effectively with directors and analysts in our Fin Services, Healthcare, or Consumer practices
- Writing experience a requirement – can be within the fields of market research, equity research, vertical journalism, or consulting in tech-related area
- Track record of expertise developed within the tech industry or researching the industry
- 10+ years leading a team and a research pipeline as well as proven success coaching analysts on how to make their insights digestible and interesting
- Comfort in private and public markets including public company financial metrics/ratios
- Ability to synthesize data and develop meaningful conclusions and predictive insights
- Strong communication/presentation skills and leadership abilities. You should feel comfortable speaking to clients/prospects as an authority on the business and the category
- Ability to multitask, get hands dirty, and handle the details — all while keeping an eye on the big picture
- Strong MS Excel and Powerpoint skills
- BA/BS required; relevant graduate degrees a plus
- Solutions-oriented and ownership mindset required
- 4Hs: happy, helpful, humble and hungry
What’s CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore and exploit emerging technologies. We help the world’s leading companies accelerate their digital strategy and transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine and human intelligence to help you discover and manage your response to emerging technology startups and markets.
- Amazing culture: Happy, Helpful, Humble, Hungry. Learn more here
- A newsletter that 600k people follow: Sign up here.
- Be Healthy: Health with HSA and FSA options, dental, and vision insurance along with unlimited/take what you need sick day policy
- Plan for the future: 401k with up to 4% match
- Continued Learning: $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Rest and Relax: Competitive vacation and holiday plans
- Refuel: Daily lunch stipend, unlimited snacks/coffee
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000! #LI-CI1