Engineering Director, Data at Transfix
What you'll do:
- Set strategy and roadmaps for our Data Science, Data Engineering, and Business Intelligence teams.
- Collaborate with our Sales, Account Management, Carrier Management, and Finance to align on KPIs and goals.
- Partner closely with Product teams to deliver cost forecast and bidding models to support effective long-term contract pricing and same day shipment bidding.
- Create pathways to rapidly develop, validate, and launch new prediction models, enabling a culture of continuous delivery around Data Science.
- Drive Transfix’s data management strategy and end-to-end lifecycle of data from creation and ingestion through delivery of analytics, insights, and model training.
- Promote a culture of data-driven decision making by evangelizing and making data and insights easily accessible across the organization.
- Drive adoption of improved processes and innovative technologies, tools, and data sources.
- Lead production operations for your software and services, and engrain observability, alerting, and incident response into your development process.
- Lead a cross-functional group of Data Engineers, Data Scientists, Software Engineers, Reporting Analysts.
- Build a team that values diversity of background and experience through recruiting, onboarding, and developing talent.
- 6+ years experience working as a software engineer or data engineer.
- 3+ years experience leading and managing highly-performing teams (having responsibility for at least 8 people in your reporting line).
- You stay informed about modern data engineering tools and concepts, and have worked with a variety, such as SQL, data warehouses, data marts, event pipelines, ETL, workflow managers, schema design, query optimization, and reporting and analysis tools (Looker, Tableau, etc.).
- You have partnered closely with data scientists and are familiar with concepts such as statistical modeling, machine learning, and advanced analytics.
- You have a penchant for shipping and instill this in your teams—favoring fast impact and learning over “perfect” solutions.
- You build trusting and constructive relationships with peers and stakeholders across teams and functions.
- Strong problem solver who is comfortable devising creative solutions when presented with imperfect data or constraints of time, people, or budget.
- Mastery in at least one programming language (Python, Ruby, C/C++, Go preferred).
- Experience working with a cloud infrastructure provider, e.g. AWS, Google Cloud or Azure.
- You hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, other STEM or quantitative fields, or equivalent professional experience.