The data platform engineering team at Betterment develops and maintains platforms upon which data can be made available and transformed, helping produce valuable insights for both our customers and internal teams. We’re committed to create a seamless user experience that allows engineers and analysts to easily create their own ETL pipelines with Airflow on our self-serve data platform. We leverage and maintain cloud infrastructure that enables these efforts, utilizing AWS services including S3, Kinesis, Lambda, RDS, and Redshift. As the Engineering Manager for the Data Engineering team, you'll help balance on-time delivery of new features alongside system stability and scale, all while helping mentor and grow a team of amazing engineers.
This role is remote eligible. Colorado has an annual starting salary of $157,000, a competitive equity package, health, dental and vision benefits, and a 401(k) offering. This job may also be eligible for variable compensation in the form of an incentive bonus. The actual pay may be higher depending on your skills, qualifications, and experience.A Day in the Life:
- Lead your team, providing mentorship, coaching, and regular feedback
- Identify and provide team members with growth opportunities that align with their career goals
- Iterate on regular process meetings that help maintain strong communication among the team
- Ensure on-time delivery of solutions without sacrificing sustainability, avoiding technical debt
- Partner with stakeholders to help develop and continuously refine the long and short-term roadmap
- Weigh in on design documents and perform code review, providing valuable and actionable feedback to peers
- Make substantial code contributions to different components of our ETL platform
- Participate in on call cycles
- Initiate, influence, and drive a diverse set of data-oriented problems, working with a wide range of teams and learning a great deal about finance in the process
- Work with people who care. We support many teams who are not engineers, but we believe everyone at Betterment is an engineer with their own tools. We’re a group of talented professionals who pride ourselves on what we do. We’re smart, innovative, energetic, and lots of fun.
- Passion for growing and developing engineers, helping them level up in their careers
- A track record of fostering collaboration among team members through effective process
- Ability to make the tradeoffs required to ship without compromising quality or team health
- Experience helping maintain a technical roadmap and balancing novel asks from engineering, product, and other stakeholders against improvements to the existing platform
- Deep expertise in at least one backend language, such as Java, Scala, C#, C++, Python - we build our services with Python
- Familiarity with ETL and creating pipelines for large datasets
- Experience utilizing cloud infrastructure - we use AWS
Joining Betterment means joining a community of folks passionate about change, being on a team that cares for your health and well-being, and being on a journey of non-stop growth and evolution.
You’ll join a Community:
- Betterment is a place to bring your best self. We welcome families (and pets) for all our activities such as lunches, company retreats, and celebrations.
- Make meaningful connections with your peers through interest groups, sports clubs, social events, meetups, and regular knowledge sharing.
- Join one or more of our 6 Employee Resource Strategy Groups as a member or an ally, and help us shape Betterment’s culture and product for years to come.
You’ll stay Happy and Healthy:
- Regardless of where you are, we will ensure you're well set up and cared for, through gym reimbursements, a customizable workstation, enrollment in our 401(k) service, flexible parental leave, and a whole suite of thoughtful benefits.
- You’ll have unlimited paid personal and vacation days, and a team that cares about your whole life, not just what you’re working on.
You’ll Learn & Grow:
- Enhance your skills and abilities through Betterment University courses and additional spending for outside learning.
- Contribute to our knowledge and transparent workspace through mentoring and career coaching programs, weekly company meetings, and show & tells.
Please note that Betterment is dedicated to providing accommodations to candidates with disabilities. If you need accommodations at any point throughout the interview process, please reach out to [email protected]What Happens Next?
We expect to take a few weeks to review all applications. If we would like to spend more time with you, you will hear from us to arrange next steps. You can expect 3-4 sets of conversations, all remote, with your future colleagues in the weeks following your application.
Throughout the interview process, we’ll look to learn more about your skills, experiences, capabilities, and motivators. Many of our interview questions will be behavioral, aimed at understanding how you might operate here at Betterment. We may ask you to complete a case study exercise or technical assessments, depending on the role, as we aim to collect a robust set of data points throughout the interview process.
On average, it takes us around 2-3 weeks to make a hiring decision, depending on your availability and sense of urgency. As a best practice, we aim to interview at least 3 final round candidates before making a hiring decision.
Please note that we’re unable to offer individual feedback during the interview process. We usually see 1,000+ applications for open positions, and our hiring team simply doesn’t have the bandwidth to offer personalized feedback to each candidate.
We recognize that interviewing for a new role is a big deal. We appreciate you giving us consideration as the next step in your career. Our Recruiting Team is here to support and advocate for you through the interview process, so please let us know how we can help.Come join us!
We’re an equal opportunity employer and comply with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. We strictly prohibit and do not tolerate discrimination against employees, applicants, or any other covered persons because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender or transsexual individual), sexual orientation, marital status, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current or prospective service in the uniformed services, predisposing genetic characteristic, domestic violence victim status, arrest records, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.#LI-Remote #BI-Remote