Engineering Manager, Data Science and Data Engineering at Teachers Pay Teachers
What do we do?
At Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT), we're unlocking the power of educator-created content. More than 3 out of 4 teachers in the U.S., Canada, and Australia come to TpT every year to get teacher-tested, engaging, and rigorous materials. What began as a humble exchange for teachers looking to share lesson plans has since exploded into a massive online marketplace where teachers have created 4 million resources for all aspects of PreK-12 education. More than six million educators worldwide (including teachers, administrators, and parents) have downloaded TpT resources more than a billion times. According to Fast Company, Teachers Pay Teachers is one of the top 50 Most Innovative Companies in the world in 2019. If you haven't heard of TpT yet and want to learn more, just ask a teacher.
The Platform engineering teams are at the core of TpT Engineering. We build the infrastructure, services and tooling that power our rapidly growing TpT marketplace. In this role, you will be supporting and growing two teams that focus on internal users mostly outside of Engineering -- Data Engineering and Data Science.
As the manager for Data Engineering and Data Science, you will scale the teams, drive their roadmaps, help establish their philosophy, and manage their relationships with other teams. Our data teams work closely with the Analytics, Product, Marketing, and Engineering teams. Data Engineering focuses on enabling teams to be data-driven by ensuring reliable, efficient, accurate, and curated data. Data Science uses research techniques such as statistical modeling and machine learning to explore data, test hypotheses, identify underlying causes and patterns, and find the best ways to turn these insights into product improvements.
- Lead, recruit, and manage data engineers and data scientists from entry level individual contributors to expert level managers
- Evolve the teams’ processes as we launch new products and the company grows
- Provide expertise in data warehousing, systems integration, and rapid software development
- Support team members with architecture-level and code-level feedback
- Manage stakeholder relationships and dependencies; work with technical leads on your teams to determine priorities and requirements
Qualities for a successful candidate:
- 4+ years of management experience leading high performing data engineering or data science teams tackling difficult problems; 8+ years of total experience
- Strong communicator who can crisply explain complex technical concepts.
- Collaborates with product managers, community relations, and other engineering leaders in the org.
- Comfortable with lean engineering and agile project management practices with a track record of successfully managing and delivering several large projects.
- Able to proactively identify ways in which to improve the quality, timeliness and reliability of data
- Expertise with modern data warehouse design patterns and tools
- Experience using event-tracking data to explain user behavior on web sites, including A/B testing.
- Comfortable with SQL and large, complex relational databases (both transactional and analytical)
Extra credit for:
- Knowledge of R or Python for data science, including reproducible research tools, data processing, exploration and visualization, and statistical modeling.
- Statistical and mathematical depth equivalent to a Masters in Applied Statistics, Applied Math, Economics, or closely related quantitative field, either from a degree program or experience.
- Experience with edtech, eCommerce and/or marketplaces
- Parental leave for both mothers and fathers to be able to take some quality time in bonding with their new addition to their family
- Comprehensive Medical & Dental Benefits
- Mother’s Room
- Quiet Room
- Company Events (Bring Your Child to Work Day, Field Day, Camp TpT, Hackathons etc.)
Here at TpT we value Diversity & Inclusion and encourage people to bring their most authentic selves to work. We cultivate an environment where people are recognized and celebrated for their individuality.
Any TpT applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the interview process can contact the TpT People Ops Team ([email protected]) to make the need for an accommodation known.
Finally, if you’re a California resident, California law requires that we provide you notice about the collection and use of your personal information. We encourage you to read it carefully. You can find our full notice here.