Engineering Manager, Product Security at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About our Team:
Our engineering team works on product-oriented problems across the boundaries of e-commerce, mobile, analytics and shipping/fulfillment. The backbone of our business is our custom logistics management system, which gives us the crucial ability to deliver the right product to the right user at the right time - a simple goal with a complex solution. We use data, engineering and algorithms to create a personalized website and an adaptive supply chain to fulfill our commitment to an amazing customer experience.
About the Job:
As an Engineering Manager at Rent the Runway, you will be responsible for leading and guiding the most important part of our engineering organization - our people. Our passion is to deliver experiences that make our users fall in love with us again and again, and this means nurturing our culture of collaboration, communication, and coordination between and within teams. Behind the scenes at Rent the Runway, we not only have the user-facing website that is the public face of our company but everything from the platform and reservation systems that power it, to a huge reverse logistics operation that operates from multiple fulfillment centers across the country.
As Engineering Manager of the Product Security team, you will work with a passionate group of engineers focused on the mission of ensuring the security and compliance of our consumer-facing systems. You work closely with the team to implement features to protect, balance customers' experience, secure access, maintain compliance, and reduce fraud.
What You’ll Do:
- Drive technical projects to success and provide leadership in a fast-paced startup environment
- Conduct regular check-ins and 1-1s with team members
- Think critically about the long-term career development of team members
- Lead a team of diverse and talented software engineers (front end, back end, mobile and full stack)
- Communicate across cross-functional teams such as Product, Analytics, Marketing, Creative, and Design
- Contribute technically to projects by being a hands-on coder and technical resource as necessary and removing roadblocks
- Provide technical product direction for projects, both customer-facing and internal
- Lead prioritization efforts and provide mentorship to others
- Deeply care about the happiness of others
- BA/BS in Computer Science, a related degree, or equivalent practical experience
- Extensive professional experience in software development, working on robust, complex systems that serve a high volume of users
- Hands-on technical leadership and/or people management experience
- A strong appreciation for engineering best practices and quality over quantity of work
- A passion for bringing great products into our world through collaboration and ingenuity
- A knack for effective and clear communication in all circumstances
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, java microservices, algorithms, and SQL/NoSQL databases
- Experience in modern frameworks and design patterns (MVC, REST, React, Redux)
- Experience with distributed system performance analysis and optimization
- Ability to understand, diagnose, and effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions
- Ability to handle ambiguous problems and make the tradeoffs without compromising quality
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Flexibility Policy - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed servicemember status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.