Haven Life is an insurtech innovator at MassMutual that offers a new way to get life insurance online that's actually simple.
We combine the culture of a startup with the stability and backing of a Fortune 500 company to create an environment that's truly unique.
Our diverse team is comprised of smart, collaborative people who think big, execute quickly and don't take themselves too seriously. We're located in New York's Flatiron District and in case you're wondering, yes, we provide free snacks. Cold brew too.
If you're creative, professional and kind, we'd love to hear from you.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
You will be joining a small, experienced data strategy team that is responsible for data integration, data quality control, database operation and master data management aspects of HavenLife technology platform. As one of the main full stack developers this position is responsible for building and maintaining our data platform. Good working experience in database (relational or graph) development is necessary; experience with web development is a plus, although more important to us is real programming experience and thoughtfulness about how and why you do what you do.
Your job will require you to work closely with your fellow technology team members, to coordinate with QA resources, and to communicate with business team members in completion of your work. Working with other developers you might work on items such as:
- developing components for data management frameworks such as data integration, data quality or data governance etc.
- creating workflow tools for routing insurance applications
- defining and applying rule sets for third party data feeds, or building customer facing components for taking new business applications
The job will be varied and challenging.
These are essential to success in this role:
- 4+ years hands on working experience as a developer in relevant fields
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to explain complex problems and solutions to people inside and outside their domain of expertise
- Demonstrated ability to design, write, and edit technical and process documentation
- Experience with traditional object-oriented languages (e.g. Java, Python, C++, Graphql )
- A demonstrable experience in building modern, complex customer-facing web applications
- Exposure to modern MVC (Model-view-controller) frameworks
- Solid grounding in data driven applications and concepts (data/object modeling, database programing with SQL and/or Cypher query languages )
- Authorized to work in the US with or without sponsorship
- Must be able to work full-time from our Manhattan office
- Good team player with self started mind set
These are not required but are a plus:
- 4-6+ years of experience preferred
- Testing strategy definition and framework creation
- Familiarity with containerization (ie Docker)
- Experience with PostgreSQL, Oracle, or other Relational DBMS
- Knowledge of none SQL database like Graph database (eg. Neo4j and Cypher query)
- Familiarity with Microservice framework
- Comfortable expressing unique points of view while respecting the views of others
- Experience delivering unit tests along with new functionality
- Experience with event-driven Java programming (e.g Swing, GWT)
- Experience and familiarity with financial services or other mathematically oriented applications.
- Working in a startup or agile development environments
- Experience in multi-platform web-sites (desktop, mobile)
- Offers constructive feedback on areas of broader scope
We have a stellar team of co-workers, a really cool office, and lots of fun activities. Oh yeah, and we pay competitive base salaries and we reward performance. Our salary structure is commensurate with experience. In addition, you will be eligible to participate in our comprehensive benefits program including medical insurance and 401(K).
The privacy of your personal information is important to us, click here to review our privacy notice.