Head of Intelligent Optimization at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 30th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2019, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2019. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
Here at MSK, we are undertaking a multi-year initiative to maintain and expand our leading position in conquering cancer. Our goal is to transform the cancer care industry, in research, in clinical care and in prevention. This strategy will be critically dependent on growing digital capabilities and MSK’s ability to drive operating model changes and extend our reach via business and technology platforms.
We have an exciting opportunity for an accomplished leader and change agent to join us as Head of Intelligent Optimization in the Digital Informatics & Technology Solutions (DigITs) organization. You will be responsible for leading the strategy, roadmap, and implementation of MSK’s digital automation platforms. With your team's support, you will deliver technology that will drive efficiency, optimization and value across the organization.
This transformation role will drive operational excellence with the following primary objectives: enhanced experience, optimized outcomes, and reduced resource utilization. Focused on enhancing meaningful work, automating and augmenting high-value work, catalyze time-to-value through democratization of IPA innovation within business units, and develop new discipline with a portfolio strategy spanning RPA, AI, and Augmented Intelligence.
- Establish an enterprise-wide strategy, operating model, and key stretching goals to roadmap for IPA focused on accountability for realizing returns
- Determine team construction: small squad self-contained vs. federated
- Enable future-state business capabilities with a focus on technology disruption, speed, agility, and flexibility that enables and drives digital capabilities and increases digital maturity.
- Define and pilot new Implementation Model in a few key business areas
- Generate a pipeline of IA projects and work with the functional leaders to value the opportunities, prioritize and deliver them
- Engineer and organize changes to business operations – architectural design and associated roadmaps are key deliverables
- Conduct facilitated reviews of “work deconstruction” (facilitated by Design Team) on key opportunities identified in survey in order to identify what can truly be automated
- Inventory current opportunities within DigITs and leverage ongoing investments in data assets for training & testing
- Target data curation with “computer assisted curation” solutions to minimize human intervention requirements
- Focus initially on “highly repeatable” processes as “early win candidates”
- Identify and implement “IPA system of insight” where visualizations of IPA initiatives can be surfaced to key decision-makers
- Manage the development and various productivity improvement tools such as RPA and desktop process analytics
- Lead benchmarking programs and ensure results are incorporated into business improvement programs
- Be a thought partner in the selection, configuration and implementation of automated solutions as well as establish standard methodologies to ensure high quality and efficient business transformation using IA platforms
- Work with partners in RPA, Data Science, Machine Learning and peers in Data Engineering and Analytics in building world-class automation solutions
- Work cross-functionally to develop effective communication and training of new platforms and technologies
- Partner with Risk and Security teams to create policies and controls for the appropriate protection of enterprise assets.
- Partner with the Technology Division on the identification and use of advanced productivity and automation capabilities such as artificial intelligence
- Coordinate with Incubation Team for some early technology assessment, with tech transfer function of “survivor” solutions into relevant business units
- Bring to bear existing expertise in Informatics around cognitive support/decision support in workflow
- Ensure people with the right skills and motivations are in the right role, at the right time, to meet business needs.
- Lead a diverse and highly engaged team, creating a sense of belonging and high levels of teamwork both within the team & across MSK
- Create a high level of ownership, setting goals, evaluating performance and growing capability and team effectiveness
- Identifies development opportunities or training needs of individual employees and teams. Provides coaching, feedback, and training to improve performance.
- Cultivate, maintain, and enhance effective relationships across MSK to understand current and future business needs
- Lead transformation programs as an IA Expert. Partner with Operational, Technical and Functional leaders, and technical and functional team members in expanding the future vision and solutions for their operations and processes.
- Test and implement intelligent agents (chatbots, etc)
- Establish a “virtual workforce” (a la Ascension model) – collection of automated services that augment the human workforce.
- Establish “cognitive agent” maintenance program (CAMP) - bots will need updating over time
- Collaborate with senior leadership to drive enhanced customer outcomes and improved financial performance through improvements to current-state business operations and through longer-term redesign of how business value is delivered
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, business, operations, and/or technology preferred; or equivalent experience
- 15+years of experience with the last 3+ years leading IA or AI led transformations
- Advanced knowledge of intelligent automation and cognitive platforms in Robotic Process Automation (RPA), Business Process Management (BPM), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Natural Language Processing (NLP), Virtual Agent, Intelligent Character Recognition, Workflow Automation Platforms
- Experience leading initiatives that drive material cost savings and enhance customer outcomes
- Strong blend of Business Operations and Technology design and implementation experience with specific focus on building robust Intelligent Automation solutions across the value chain
- Ability to simplify complex concepts for consumption by non-technical leaders
- Intellectual curiosity to keep pace with technological advancements and tools in intelligent Automation and artificial intelligence
- Knowledge of industry trends, development and availability of new technologies and tools
- Strong decision-making, consulting, & executive level business communication and presentation skills
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.