Jr. Data Scientist
Smartling is seeking a junior Data scientist to join our engineering team. We are a small, tight-knit, dynamic group of engineers building and maintaining various smart systems that our customers rely on to maximize their value in using our platform. In this role, you will be responsible for tasks like identifying metrics and points of data to track and pre-processing data via Python.
You’re a great match if you love to solve hard problems. You will work directly with engineering to solve our customers' problems with data models and work in the natural language space with billions of data points.
Our Engineering team approach
- Agile / Scrum.
- Two pizza teams.
- Data-driven decisions.
Tasks at hand
- Identifying metrics and points of data to track.
- Pre-processing data via Python.
- Model and feature selection.
- Model training and validation via various Python libraries.
- Evaluation of models once deployed.
- Training with the team to help with best practices and knowledge sharing.
- Participate in the engineering process: pull requests, sprints, scrums, etc.
- Proficient in Python.
- Knowledge of data science techniques (sampling, feature engineering, models, etc).
- Basic understanding of linear algebra, calculus, and statistics.
- Basic understanding of Notebooks and Terminals.
Nice to have
- Experience with Java.
- Experience with Spark.
- Cloud technology experience: SageMaker, Glue, EMR, S3, etc.
- Curious. The desire to learn new techniques, technologies, and frameworks.
- Creative/Innovative. Demonstrate inventiveness and the ability to find information or solutions needed for assignments.
- Autonomous/Self-started. Work well and achieves results with little or no supervision.
- Team Player. Willing to do PRs, give advice, and contribute to the team.
- Problem Solver. Provide workable solutions or consults with secondary resources to devise solutions.
- Adaptable. Maintain focus and positive attitude amidst change or under pressure.
- With a “can do attitude”. Able to roll up your sleeves and drive projects to their completion.
What matters to Smartling?
- To help our clients grow their businesses and to help you grow as an individual both professionally and personally.
- Competitive salary and Employee Stock purchase plan.
- An opportunity to learn and advance your career.
- An energetic, value-driven, and fun culture.
- Take a break when you need it – Flexible PTO.
- Company paid medical/dental/vision/life insurance.
- Commuter Benefits.
- Convenient office in the middle of Manhattan - just blocks from Penn Station and Grand Central.
Smartling, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. No third party recruiters.