Automatic Data Processing, Inc. (ADP) is one of the largest providers of business processing and cloud-based solutions -- including payroll, talent management, human resource management, benefits administration and time and attendance -- to employers and automotive dealerships around the world. ADP builds configurable solutions that can fit your organization's unique goals and increase your productivity. For more information about ADP, visit the company's Web site at www.ADP.com.
The ADP DataCloud product development team is looking for a Lead Database Engineer that is highly skilled in multiple technical areas including database engineering and operations, performance, stability and scalability, Amazon database technologies. The successful candidate will have a strong command of designing and implementing PostgreSQL and Oracle databases.
- Design and implement highly scalable, interactive databases with performance, stability and scalability
- Define and establish standards and best practices to implement and support Aurora PostgreSQL database clusters, and high-performance computing environments, particularly on the AWS Cloud
- Champion all database environment builds, including design, capacity planning, cluster setup, upgrades, performance tuning and ongoing monitoring
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve data and performance issues, to ensure that database systems meet business and performance requirements, which may include after-hours/weekends
- Develop and deploy alerting, monitoring, and reporting tools and dashboards integrated with other cloud-based monitoring tools, to help support business requirements
- Define and implement database backup and recovery strategies
- Work with developers and engineers on all database related changes via code reviews, tuning, testing, and validation
- Performance tuning of databases to support high read/write throughput while minimizing latency
- Assist with data analysis by writing ad hoc queries
- Analyze database access patterns to isolate hotspots, data model problems, and other bottlenecks
- Perform proactive capacity planning and forecasting based on database usage patterns and new business initiatives
- Implement an effective cost management strategy for AWS databases
- Design and support data migrations
- Report progress and status of assigned tasks to project teams and manager
- Provide technical leadership and motivation to junior developers
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related discipline
- 7+ years of Postgres or Oracle database development experience
- 2+ years of hands-on experience with Aurora PostgresSQL
- Expert understanding of complex inner workings of Aurora PostgresSQL
- Strong understanding of the Aurora Postgres data model and architecture including installation, configuration of a cluster, replication, security, and best practices
- Familiarity with other SQL/NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Redshift, Redis, etc.
- Knowledge of data population techniques, e.g. Extract Transform Load (ETL) and Extract Load Transform (ELT) and familiarity with Change Data Capture (CDC) tools like Golden Gate, DMS etc.
- Exposure to Enterprise Data Warehouse systems with understanding of Star Schemas, Snowflake Schemas, etc.
- Knowledge of operating relationships between database, business applications, and the operating systems
- Familiarity within Linux Environments, able to write/maintain scripts
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code software, such as Terraform, and CI/CD process
- Prior experience working with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Ability to manage day-to-day tasks independently
- Ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of system security and overall IT security methodologies
- Experience and knowledge of change management principles, methodologies and tools
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Relevant AWS certifications desired
- Leadership: not only at the management level but at the individual level -- having the confidence and resilience to take risks -- be self-empowered
- Communication: understand and express ideas/solutions in a comprehensive and practical format -- knowledge sharing
- User Focus: an absolute focus on the user (internal or external) experience -- every aspect of a solution should be productized for ease of use
- Improvisation: the ability to think across disciplines and existing boundaries (technologies/business/geographies) - lateral thinking
- Collaboration: teamwork with a positive approach to ambiguity
- Research: an inclination to continuous research inside and outside the current focus fields
- Influence by example: scientific proof of an idea (success or failure) as the presentation tool -- represent an idea in order to promote it
- Technical Knowledge: broad and deep technical knowledge with a strong focus on data/objects and API/contracts
- Abstract Thinking: view of ideas and solutions as abstractions/patterns that can be leveraged/adapted/reused -- deliver frameworks instead of point solutions
ADP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer; M/F/D/V. ADP believes that diversity leads to strength.
We're designing a better way to work, so you can achieve what you're working for. Consistently named one of the 'Most Admired Companies' by FORTUNE® Magazine, and recognized by DiversityInc® as one of the 'Top 50 Companies for Diversity,' ADP works with more than 740,000 organizations across the globe to help their people work smarter, embrace new challenges, and unleash their talent. "Always Designing for People" means we're creating platforms that will transform how great work gets done, so together we can unlock a world of opportunity.
At ADP, we believe that diversity fuels innovation. ADP is committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, genetic information, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, lawful alien status, national origin, age, marital status, or protected veteran status. We support an inclusive workplace where associates excel based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance.