Lead Data Scientist at Even Financial
Some of the questions we explore are:
- How can we best prioritize financial product offers for each consumer we see?
- How can we integrate with third party data sources to enhance our recommendation models?
- How can we best mix active and passive signals to maximize click through rates?
- How do we optimize against the different data flows we have, given our open API?
- How do we build a strong data science process that effectively documents, experiments with and monitors model performance?
Day to Day:
- Serve as the team lead and provides day-to-day technical management of the team
- Jumps in as an individual contributor where necessary to increase velocity on a project to move it towards completion
- Works with the business team to translate business needs and goals into technical deliverables by the team.
- Oversees projects, develops technical roadmaps, and provides mentorship and course correction for the team in accomplishing initiatives. Consistently sets expectations with cross-functional stakeholders on progress and timelines.
- Develops an onboarding and ongoing development/mentorship program with the VP of Strategic Growth
- Ensures completeness in core team deliverables, such as the production of data science repeatability documentation, monitoring environments, proper experiment construction, and other core Data Science outputs
- Implements internal team and cross-functional processes that streamline execution
- Works to develop version control processes (git, svn), and implements unit/integration testing and code review standards
- Works with the team to research, evaluate, test, and implement new models and statistical methods in our overall data science environment
- Collaborates closely with the Business Intelligence, Engineering, and Partner Solutions team at Even to ensure proper rollout of Data Science deliverables.
- Proven experience in a technology driven start-up
- Experience working on a search or recommendation engine that has been deployed at scale
- Strong business communication skills (ability to communicate business value and impact), creative problem-solving and intellectual curiosity
- Extensive experience working with engineers and product managers to decide what data to collect and how to collect it, to enable the data science team downstream
- Must have a high level of business acumen to make risk-assessed decisions, and work mostly autonomously to execute these decisions with limited oversight.
- Previous experience managing a team, and ability to work well in a team and provide constructive feedback and ongoing mentorship
- Creates a culture of inclusion and curiosity, while balancing execution quality with speed to market
- Ability to decompose large, complex problems into smaller actionable parts
- High proficiency in python, SQL, and scala
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Math/Finance, Physics, Applied Economics, Statistics or other technical field preferred or relevant experience (5+ years)
- Experience with data infrastructure and systems (e.g. analyzing and computing data at scale with tools such as Spark, MapReduce, Hive, Presto, Redshift, etc.)
- Experience building and explaining the differences of various machine learning models such as logistic, multi-armed bandits, neural nets, etc.
- You have a sense of humor