Lead Data Scientist at Discovery Direct-to-Consumer
Discovery hires the very best and brightest talent who are enthusiastic and passionate to fulfill the company’s mission of empowering people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity.
In exchange for their talent and drive, employees are provided with an engaging, diverse workplace and the resources they need to learn, thrive and grow in their careers.
The Global Data & Advanced Analytics (GDA) team enables Discovery to turn data into action. Using big data platforms, statistical inference, machine learning, data visualization, and self-service analytics, this team supports company-wide efforts to drive audiences and enhance consumer engagement. Join an innovative, high impact team helping to serve passionate fans around the globe with content that inspires, informs, and entertains.
As part of a growing team essential to Discovery’s business around the world, you, the Lead Data Scientist, will be responsible for managing and executing high impact data science projects to support Direct-to-Consumer priorities.
These efforts will include, but are not limited to:
● global customer, user, and audience segmentation to support churn, lifetime value, and marketing mix projects
● global content intelligence to maximize the audience enjoyment and content value using graph-ML
● voice-of-customer initiatives that support subscription-based revenue predictions
● transforming ML-based customer segmentation, NLP, churn, and personalization prototypes into sustainable automated solutions
● implementing data- and model- monitoring based on best MLOps practices
Specifically, you will be responsible for managing end-to-end delivery of data science projects and providing guidance to team members -- inclusive of proof-of-concepts & prototypes, ad hoc statistical analyses, and ML deployment. You will also be responsible for managing maintenance and improvements to our Data Science tech stack as our team and projects scale.
You’ll need to be an innovative forward-thinker who will lead end-to-end data science initiatives, work collaboratively with other data scientists as well as key business partners, and contribute directly to existing and emerging business strategies and goals. Communication and ability to thrive in a team environment are essential, as are strong technical skills, creativity and attention to detail, and experience conducting data science projects from use case definition to final product delivery.
● Management Responsibilities
o Meet with business partners to flush out use cases and key requirements for data science deliverables
o Guide and manage project execution balancing scope, team priorities, and agreed timelines
o Collaborate with data and technology teams to identify data sets, skills, and resources for ad-hoc analyses, prototyped solutions, and deployed capabilities
o Provide regular updates to and receive strategic direction from Global Data Science Team Lead
o Prepare and communicate updates to senior level management and business partners, including project status updates and insights delivery
o Provide direction to data scientists and review data science approaches & deliverables
o Assist in making data science techniques approachable and understandable to non-data scientists
o Identify appropriate data science solutions as new data-centric business problems arise
o Support Global Data Science Team Lead in developing and implementing data science framework, processes, and best practices
o Stay current with new data science methods, technologies, and industry trends
● Technical Responsibilities
o Apply data mining techniques to cleanse, explore, and model large, unstructured data sets, including language and event logs
o Develop, validate, and operationalize sound mathematical and statistical models via NLP, personalization, or behavioral segmentation, with an eye toward extensible design and deployment
o Design, execute, and interpret statistically sound A/B tests of product design and user engagement
o Build and deploy ML models, using a range of AWS technologies to support batch and streaming consumption patterns
o Orchestrate and integrate services and components into pipelines, including the tooling for data and model monitoring in an environment with a range for first- and third- party data sources
o Optimize pre-existing ETL, model, endpoint, and other solutions
o Review, make enhancements to, and execute code written by matrixed set of resources across technology, analytics/BI, and data science
o Collaborate with data & technology teams to create repeatable processes and scalable data products
o Maintain and improve our Data Science tech stack as team and projects scale
● Master’s or PhD degree in a quantitative or computational field, with preference for candidates with strong backgrounds in statistics/applied math, technology, or social science
● Minimum 8+ years of business experience delivering end-to-end data science solutions
● Applied experience related to customer/audience segmentation, A/B testing, natural language processing for operational analytics and insights, and/or recommendation engines
● Excellent communication and project management skills – ability to present complex information in a concise and compelling manner, familiarity with project management best practices
● Expertise in Python, with advanced understanding of clustering, probabilistic modeling, and deep learning frameworks
● Experience with SQL and NoSQL cloud-based data stores required; AWS and Apache Spark preferred
● Experience with data workflow managers like Drake, Luigi, or Airflow in AWS, integrating ML solutions into workflows that begin with relational and NoSQL databases
● Professional-level expertise in developing and validating unsupervised learning solutions at scale
● Familiarity with data visualization applications, including Tableau, PowerBI, and/or R Shiny preferred
● Prior media and/or direct-to-consumer industry experience preferred
● Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.
We will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws, including but not limited to all local Fair Chance Ordinances.
EEO is the Law
Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to [email protected]