Machine Learning Engineer at Rent the Runway
Rent the Runway (RTR) is transforming the way we get dressed by pioneering the world’s first Closet in the Cloud. Founded in 2009, RTR has disrupted the $2.4 trillion fashion industry by inspiring women with a more joyful, sustainable and financially-savvy way to feel their best every day. As the ultimate destination for circular fashion, the brand now offers infinite points of access to its shared closet via a fully customizable subscription to fashion, one-time rental or ownership. RTR offers designer apparel, accessories and home decor from 700+ brand partners and has built in-house proprietary technology and a one-of-a-kind reverse logistics operation. Under CEO and Co-Founder Jennifer Hyman’s leadership, RTR has been named to CNBC’s “Disruptor 50” five times in ten years, and has been placed on Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list multiple times, while Hyman herself has been named to the “TIME 100” most influential people in the world and as one of People magazine’s “Women Changing the World.”
About the Role:
Machine learning engineers at Rent the Runway create data products that have tangible effects on our customer experience and internal operations. You will own projects end to end, from framing which problems to tackle through transforming information from our massive data ecosystem into actionable insights, and ultimately building & integrating algorithms into our network of services in collaboration with our product & software engineering teams.
You will have the opportunity to impact all parts of our business: determining what inventory assortment to buy, optimizing the lifespan of that inventory, establishing the right network of warehouses & transportation methods to best serve our customers, personalizing the user experience, optimizing user acquisition & retention, investigating how we can improve customer service by serving the right information at the right time, optimally pricing clothing rentals and sales, forecasting demand and more.
You will ideally focus on relevance engineering: cutting-edge recommender systems, information retrieval, search and discovery, personalized omnichannel outreach. You will create delightful experiences for our customers and add intelligence to our operations to impact both the bottom line and top line of this fast-growing business.
What You’ll Do:
- Work on a team of peers in an environment that will keep you constantly challenged and learning new things every day.
- Develop and deploy performant algorithms powering customer-facing applications that are core to our business and success.
- Collaborate closely in an equal partnership with our business, product and engineering teams.
- Have a significant voice both in what you work on and how the work is carried out.
- You have 5+ years of work experience building data products, preferably with Python, and integrating them into internal and customer-facing applications in production environments. You own your algorithms end to end. Bonus points if you’ve built & maintained services using AWS, GCP.
- You have experience working with a broad range of machine learning models to solve industry problems. Bonus points for 2+ years experience with recommender systems / other forms of personalization and e-commerce optimization; information retrieval; deploying & maintaining production deep learning models using frameworks such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras in business environment.
- You have the ability and desire to own your project through its entire lifecycle, from data exploration and analysis to modeling, experimentation, production implementation, monitoring, and communication with stakeholders.
- You have experience transforming vague problems into algorithmic solutions.
- You desire to drive serious business impact and a bias to action. You like to move fast, you follow through, and you’re accountable to the results.
- You have an owner’s mindset. No job is too big or too small, and you always leave things better than you found them.
- You have an innate curiosity and an open mind.
At Rent the Runway, we’re committed to the wellbeing of our employees, and aim to create a workplace that fosters both personal and professional growth. Our inclusive benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Paid Time Off including vacation, paid bereavement, and family sick leave - every employee needs time to take care of themselves and their family.
- Universal Paid Parental Leave for both parents + flexible return to work program - because we know your newest family member(s) deserve your undivided attention.
- Paid Sabbatical after 5 years of continuous service - Unplug, recharge, and have some fun!
- Exclusive employee subscription and rental discounts - to ensure you experience the magic of renting the runway (and give us valued feedback!).
- Comprehensive health, vision, dental, FSA and dependent care from day 1 of employment - Your health comes first and we’ve got you covered.
- 401k match - an investment in your future.
- Company wide events and outings - our team spirit is no joke - we know how to have fun!
- Hybrid Work - when our corporate employees return to the office post COVID they will have the option to work remotely 2-3 days a week, in accordance with Company policies.
Rent the Runway is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age (40 and over), national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including testing and characteristics), veteran status, uniformed service member status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.