Manager, Engineering (Data) at Namely (Greater NYC Area, NY)
Do you love leading a team of software engineers, acting as a mentor and encouraging their careers? Does the opportunity balance managing a team while also contributing your own code sound like your kind of challenge? Can you lead collaboration both within your team and cross functionally with other engineering and technology teams?
Namely is looking for a Data Engineering Manager to lead a team working on the data platform and analytics/reporting features. As an engineering manager, you will partner with the leaders in Engineering and Product to deliver and ensure the best possible experience for both internal and external customers. You will be driving best practices and standards for software development at Namely.
- Lead a team of data engineers in building a high quality data platform for streaming and batch processing
- Deliver customer facing features for analytics, reporting, and auditing across all Namely domains
- Support Namely Engineering by providing tools for accessing streaming and batch historical data
- Work closely with product managers and engineers to develop and align on the team’s roadmap initiatives
- Oversee and ensure the team is meeting their product delivery commitments
- Contribute to the team’s codebase as an IC by writing code, architecting solutions and participating in code reviews
- Lead, facilitate and assist product managers and software engineers in conducting agile ceremonies and implementing processes
- Work closely with engineers to ensure they are growing and developing in their careers
- Remove blockers for the team and identify ways to proactively improve the developer experience, and optimize the efficiency of the team
- Interview, hire and grow the team as needed
- A minimum of 2 year of applicable experience in leading and managing a team of data engineers
- A minimum of 5 years experience in data engineering
- Experience writing production ETL pipelines using Apache Spark and Scala
- Experience with data warehouse modeling
- Experience building, shipping and maintaining customer facing features
- Ability to summarize technical and complex ideas or solutions
- Ability to lead a team in scoping and estimating work across multiple sprints
- Ability to attract, interview, develop and retain top talent
- Strong analytical and technical skills to identify critical and impactful issues, escalate them and drive them to resolution
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly organized with a strong attention to detail
- Proven track record of working cross functionally with Engineering, Product, Design and business stakeholders.
- BS or BA or equivalent experience.
Nice to Haves
- Experience with Databricks, Airflow, and Looker
- Experience with Docker
This position has a salary range of $170,000 - 210,000 per annum. Namely offers employees medical, dental, and vision insurance, a 401(k) plan with company match, equity, flexible spending accounts, $50,000 basic life and AD&D, free telehealthcare, paid vacation, holidays and sick leave, employee stock purchase plan, paid family leave, and many other available benefits. This information is provided per the New York Equal Pay for Equal Work Act. Base pay information is based on the market location.
Tech Talks and Blogs by Namely Labs Engineers
- Growing up with AWS
- HTTP and JSON for your gRPC services
- Using .NET Core in Production
- Following an Internal Open Source model of Software Development
- Namely Labs Blog
Namely Company Culture Highlights
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best CEOs for Diversity 2021
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best Career Growth 2021
- Winner of Comparably's Award for Best Company Compensation 2021
Check us out on Comparably: https://www.comparably.com/companies/namely
Namely is the first HR, payroll, and benefits platform employees actually love to use. People are at the center of everything we do—from our platform to our staff. Why join us? We believe every company and every employee deserves a great workplace, supported by HR technology they use and love. Most importantly, we believe in giving you the tools you need to do the best work of your career.
We invite you to fill out the EEO survey below as part of our ongoing diversity initiatives at Namely. Your participation in the survey is completely optional and voluntary, and none of the information you provide will be considered in the hiring process or with respect to any employment decision made by Namely. Namely will have access only to anonymized data submitted through these surveys.