Marketplace Development Associate at Better
Founded in 2016, Better is a digital-first homeownership company whose services included mortgage, real estate, title, and homeowners insurance. We leverage creative technology and innovation to make the homebuying journey more approachable and understandable. Here are some interesting facts to help you get to know Better:
- From its founding in 2016 through 2020, Better funded $30.9B in home loans and provided over $7B in cumulative coverage through Better Cover and Better Settlement Services, the insurance divisions of Better
- Ranked #1 on LinkedIn’s Top Startups List for 2020 and 2021
- Ranked #2 on Fortune's Best Companies for Millenials 2021
- Fortune Best Workplaces for Women 2021
- People Magazine Companies that Care 2021
- Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces 2021
- Top Women Originators 2021
- Our Founder and CEO was named in Comparably's Top 25 CEOs for Diversity
- Better has raised over $400M in equity capital since inception
Our company is made up of driven, passionate people who bring their unique backgrounds and perspectives to everything we do. We are committed to fostering diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion. We encourage individual potential rather than years of experience. We see the value in each person’s perspective, and recognize their talents, regardless of what the market says. We believe it’s important to nurture a company culture that encourages curiosity and passion—from employee resource groups and learning opportunities to team outings and community outreach.
Better is a family of companies. Better Mortgage Corporation provides home loans; Better Real Estate, LLC provides real estate services; Better Cover, LLC provides homeowners insurance policies; and Better Settlement Services provides title insurance services.
A Better Opportunity:
Better.com is growing and we’re looking for a Marketplace Development Associate to join our Capital Markets team. If you’re looking to make an impact alongside a collaborative team that’s transforming the homeownership industry, check us out.
This hire will partner with Capital Markets teammates, and work cross functionally with many teams including Partnerships, Finance, Product, Engineering, and Sales and Operations, to conduct quantitative analysis, build systems, and execute plans to ensure our marketplace strategy leads the organization to exceed our goals for growth and economic health. Our business is continuing to scale rapidly, so this is an opportunity to help Better navigate a critical phase of our growth.
The Capital Markets team embraces strong capital markets and tech advantages to serve as Better’s primary revenue generator, with responsibility for the overall profitability of our operations. The team maintains oversight of pricing, trading, hedging, financing, servicing, and securitization and has perspective across all company functions. Capital Markets is deeply involved in strategic decision making and creating the most comprehensive financial marketplace for borrowers and financial institutions alike.
Responsibilities will include:
- Contribute to the daily management and execution of our Direct to Consumer and partnership marketplace strategies
- Optimize and maintain our Pricing and Product Eligibility Engine
- Build a model to develop an understanding of our best and worst performing products and optimize pricing strategy and eligibility slotting based on the findings
- Partner with Better’s Product, Engineering, and Data Science teams to scope out and implement near and long-term opportunities for further automation
- This role is designated as ‘Flex Mode,’ and is not a fully remote position. The number of days in office will vary based on role requirements. As such, employees must be located within commuting distance of the office and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination.
What the ideal candidate looks like:
The ideal candidate has a proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment where business needs are ever changing and is energized by the opportunity to juggle multiple projects simultaneously. This person has strong intellectual curiosity and is able to contribute fresh, creative ideas to even the most challenging problems. This hire will bring a lot to the table, including attention to detail, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a strong sense of teamwork. In addition to that, we are looking for
- 3+ years of prior experience
- You have a background in engineering (software or otherwise) and/or finance.
- Experience with building models and evaluating opportunities through an economic lens
- Solid analytical foundation, bias to lean on data to drive decisions and able to synthesize disorganized data into concise frameworks.
- You have some exposure (side projects count!) to working with APIs, and understand how software can communicate with other software.
- You are energized by fast-paced environments and are able to maintain composure when faced with ambiguity.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to piece together components into a coherent system
- Self-starter willing to take charge of a variety of projects
These help, but aren’t dealbreakers:
- Experience in fixed income and/or mortgage markets
- Experience at a rapidly growing start-up
- Coding skills (Python, etc) and knowledge of a database language are a plus
Job Req ID: JR101786
Better is requiring all US employees to be fully vaccinated in order to go into the office. Our priority is first and foremost the safety of our employees and we require COVID-19 vaccination to help ensure their safety in the workplace. Please note that Better will offer a reasonable accommodation process for employees who are not vaccinated for medical or religious reasons.
The Better mission is rooted in values that drive us.
- We do what’s in the best interest of the consumer, not ourselves
- We have growth mindsets, not fixed ones
- We believe that success lies in execution, not credentials
- We act like owners, not just employees
- We work to find answers on our own, not wait for them to be given to us
- We optimize for mission, not ego
Our mission speaks for itself—we continue to outpace the industry at every turn. We’ve joined forces in partnership with Ally Bank, and our backers have helped build some of the most transformative tech and finance companies in history. Kleiner Perkins, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Citigroup, Activant Capital, Ally Bank, and others have invested in our vision for what homeownership can be.
Better Benefits & Compensation
Our total rewards package consists of base salary, equity, benefits, and opportunity for yearly cash bonus. Some of our benefits include:
- Comprehensive healthcare, retirement, and voluntary benefits. Think medical, dental, vision, savings accounts, 401k, and more.
- Personalized care and tools for realizing your mental health and wellness goals
- Robust wellbeing offerings that allow you unlimited access to virtual fitness, meditation, yoga, cooking classes, homeschooling preparedness, physical therapy, and more.
- Unlimited time off (with manager approval)
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after 90 days of employment, and 20 weeks after 24 months of service.
- Inclusive fertility benefits for you or your eligible dependents, regardless of participation in a Better medical plan.
Better is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or religious creed, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, marital status, family or parental status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. If you require further accommodations or have questions regarding accessibility of our roles, please reach out to [email protected]. All employment decisions at Better are based on a person’s merit, business needs, and role requirements.
California Consumer Privacy Rights Notice for Job Applicants
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Better is required to inform California residents who are our job applicants or prospective talent (together "job applicants") about the categories of personal information we collect about you and the purposes for which we will use this information. The notice contains disclosures required by the CCPA and applies only to personal information that is subject to the CCPA.