Medical Director, Machine Learning at Flatiron Health
We're looking for Medical Directors who are passionate about research and real world evidence development, interested in exploring and developing innovative new techniques in observational study design, and looking to drive collaborative research in a fast-paced, mission-driven environment. Here's what you need to know about the role, our team and why Flatiron Health is the right next step in your career.
What You'll Do
As a Medical Director and the Machine Learning (ML) Lead on the Research Platforms (RP) team, you will partner with cross-functional leaders to drive the strategic direction and priorities for our use of ML in the real world evidence space. Practically, you will be responsible for guiding development and use of research variables generated from structured and unstructured data sources using ML and other analytical techniques. This includes informing decisions about how EHR-derived data sets are developed and used, determining appropriate use cases for key variables and methodologies. You will help us push the envelope at the interface of technology and medicine. In addition, you'll also:
- Lead data-driven research projects involving colleagues within Flatiron, and in collaboration with external partners in life science companies
- Mentor and guide a team of research clinicians staffed to key research and development efforts that leverage ML
- Provide strategic, scientific, and operational support for Flatiron research and external collaborations
- Establish key external relationships throughout the oncology Life Sciences ecosystem
- Participate in the broader ML-healthcare community through external speaking and publication opportunities
- Work cross-functionally to ensure the highest clinical quality and relevance of our products and data
- Supply disease- and/or domain-specific training to coworkers and clients
Who You Are
You’re a Clinician with at least 2 years or analytical experience using advanced analytic techniques like machine learning and natural language processing. You're excited by the prospect of rolling up your sleeves to tackle meaningful problems each and every day. You’re a kind, passionate and collaborative problem-solver who seeks and gives candid feedback, and values the chance to make an important impact.
- You have a medical degree and have completed residency and subspecialty training
- You have 2+ years of experience working with techniques from data science and machine learning and are excited to apply them in the real world evidence space
- You have formal training in research methodology/data analytic methods
- You are excited about working in a passionate, fast-paced, technology-driven culture
- You can easily explain scientific terms to a highly sophisticated, non-medical audience and also explain technical concepts (ex: NLP) to a medical audience; strong communication skills
- You have comfort with ambiguity and a willingness to teach and learn
If this sounds like you, you'll fit right in at Flatiron.
- You are an oncologist with demonstrated expertise in one or more oncology-relevant methodological areas (e.g., outcomes research, real world evidence, patient-reported outcomes, health services research, medical informatics, etc.)
- You have a degree in a quantitative field (exs: computer science, biostatistics)
- You have experience working in drug development, either in the industry setting or as an academic collaborator
- You are a credible expert with oncology thought-leaders OR you have experience collaborating with oncology thought-leaders
Why You Should Join Our Team
A career at Flatiron is a chance to work with everyone involved in the future of cancer care and research—all under one roof. Researchers, data scientists, designers, clinicians, technologists and many more all work together to improve cancer care and accelerate research.
You'll also find a culture of continuous learning, broad and inclusive employee support offerings, and a commitment to supporting our team members in all aspects of their lives—at home, at work and everywhere in between. We offer:
- Flatiron University training curriculum which includes presentation skills, meeting mastery, coding languages and more
- Career coaching opportunities
- Hackathons for all employees (not just our engineers!)
- Professional development benefit for attending conferences, industry events and external courses
- Work/life autonomy via flexible work hours and flexible paid time off
- Generous parental leave (16 weeks for either parent)
- Back-up child care
- Flatiron-sponsored fitness classes
Flatiron Health is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.