Principal Data Engineer, Trust & Security at Gemini
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Software Engineering
Gemini is regulated and licensed like a bank, but it’s run like a tech startup, and engineering is the core of the company. There’s a wide range of tough problems to solve at Gemini – from properly securing hundreds of millions of dollars worth of customer funds, to developing innovative new blockchain products, to finding new techniques to combat fraud, to shaving microseconds off our API response times, and everything in between.
All of Gemini’s engineers are able to work across the software platform, not just on their own specialization or subteam. We value a thoughtful, collaborative software development process, coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and delivering software.
The Role: Principal Data Engineer, Trust & Security
Our Trust & Security team invents, builds, and scales new ways to prevent fraud and secure Gemini platforms and products across multiple cloud substrates. We use big data and machine learning to advance analytics and fraud detection techniques of many forms. We own our solutions through proof-of-concept, production-ready models, tuning, and efficacy monitoring. We are a growing, highly visible agile team where experimentation, collaboration, and spirited discussion are the norm.
We are looking for an experienced, driven, and creative data engineer to join the team. As a team member, you will be responsible for a large-scale data processing pipeline across our Intelligence and Security Products.
- Ability to work with complex data sets that meet functional and non-functional business requirements
- Design, architect and build the infrastructure to support large scale, fault-tolerant distributed systems that support Gemini's Trust & Safety teams
- Leverage a wide variety of data sources and technologies like SQL, Apache Spark, AWS S3, Databricks, and Snowflake to create extraction, transformation and loading of sensitive data
- Ability to communicate well and clearly with team members across multiple time zones.
- At least 5-6 years in data engineering with examples of delivering innovative product ideas.
- Solid skill sets of big data-related data structures and algorithms
- Proficient experience in SQL and query design
- Proficient experiences in at least one mainstream language, like Python, Scala, or Java
- Experienced in data processing such as ETL
- A great communicator with a knack for precisely and concisely explaining problems and solutions to multiple stakeholders, e.g. senior management, product managers, etc.
- A drive to continuously learning and developing new technologies
- Independently making decisions quickly based on your domain expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate as part of a highly distributed team.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.