Principal Data Engineer
Blink Health is a well-funded healthcare technology company on a mission to make prescription drugs more accessible and affordable for everyone. We're scaling up in a highly complex vertical to change the way Americans access the prescription drugs they need.
Our proprietary platform and supply chain allows us to offer everyone — whether they have insurance or not — amazingly inexpensive prices on over 15,000 medications. With the addition of telemedicine and home delivery for prescriptions, Blink is providing a life-changing experience for people all over the country and fixing how opaque, unfair and overpriced healthcare has become. We are a highly collaborative team of builders and operators who invent new ways of working in an industry that historically has resisted innovation. Join us!
As the staff engineer for data, you will be a thought leader within the data engineering team that is designing and building our next generation of data tools and frameworks, in addition to developing and maintaining data products and infrastructure. You will be responsible for assessing, designing, and building long-term solutions for our data management, storage, and handling, considering data integrity, reliability, and performance. You will set a high bar for clean and correct code, performing peer code and architecture reviews.
How to achieve success/acumen:
All Blinkers are expected to operate with our value of “Good Giving” in mind. Our culture is infused with the dedication and enthusiasm of employees who continuously strive to make a difference. Here’s how you will do that in this role.
Good Execution - Do your best work
Design new APIs to power new features
- Fix performance problems and debug production issues
- Perform peer code and architecture reviews
- Build new features, write unit tests, and lead the release of these features to production.
- Develop and AB test new ReactJS components to improve our user experience
Good Owner - Be the CEO of your role
- Help the team ship new products and features successfully with the right skills, mentorship and organizational resources to deliver amazing experiences for our patients
- Coach, mentor and develop engineers to reach individual goals while fostering cross-functional collaboration and product success
- Take responsibility for the long term success of product projects and people
Good Learning - Learn something new every day
- Demonstrate curiosity and an interest in learning new techniques and improving upon best practices to stay up-to-date with current and emerging trends
- Lead by example putting new ideas into action, failing fast and learning from each experience
Good Feedback - Consider the perspective of others
- Listen actively and respond effectively through a variety of channels
- Give and receive candid and constructive feedback
- Promote trust and encourage teamwork allow the product team to do their best work
- You have 8+ years hands-on experience and demonstrated strength with:
- Python, building data pipelines, and managing data at multiple companies.
- Writing complex, highly-optimized SQL queries across large data sets.
- Building and maintaining robust and scalable data integration (ETL) pipelines using SQL, EMR, Python and Spark.
- Designing and maintaining columnar databases (e.g., Redshift, Snowflake)
- Distributed data processing (Hadoop, Spark, Hive)
- ETL with batch (Data Pipeline) and streaming (Kinesis, Airflow)
- Integration and design for Business Intelligence tools (e.g., Looker, QuickSight)
- Creating scalable data models for analytics.
- You have experience leading the thinking, design, and refactor of large enterprise data warehouses and associated ETLs, with continuous improvement examples for automation and simplification across all aspects of the DW environment, inclusive of both engineering and business reporting.
- Experience owning features from design through delivery along with ongoing support.
- Proven success with communicating effectively across diverse disciplines (including product engineering, infrastructure, analytics, data science, finance, marketing, customer support, etc.) to collect requirements and describe data engineering strategy and decisions.
- Experience providing clear data engineering technical leadership, mentoring, and best practices for data management and quality within and across teams.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Computer Science
- Healthcare-relevant company experience as part of the required experience above, with demonstrated industry knowledge of handling sensitive information.
Why Join Us:
At Blink, we put humans first. We want everyone at Blink to be able to do the best work of their lives. We are a relentlessly learning, constantly curious and aggressively collaborative cross-functional team dedicated to inventing new ways to improve the lives of our customers.
Blink Pharmacy App for Android
Blink Pharmacy App for iOS