Bluecore is a marketing technology company that’s reimagining how the world’s fastest growing retail brands transform casual shoppers into lifetime customers. Through our patented retail data model and the recent release of Bluecore Communicate™ and Bluecore Site™, we replace manual processes with an intelligent, AI-driven workflow. We are credited with doubling email revenue, and increasing customer retention for more than 400 brands, including Express, Tommy Hilfiger, The North Face, Teleflora, and Bass Pro Shops. We have been recognized as one of the Best Places to Work by Glassdoor and ranked No. 241 on the Inc. 500 List, the most prestigious ranking of the nation’s fastest-growing private companies.
We are looking for Principal Data Scientists with a strong mathematical background to work alongside our Engineering Teams to build the next generation of retail and commerce models that delight and empower marketers. The ideal candidate is one that has several years of experience researching, building, serving, and maintaining data science models at scale. They are able to work with our Product Team to translate product requirements into the correct objectives, perform literature searches to identify the right approach, design thoughtful experiments, and write production code to serve the model and maintain it. They have first-hand experience with what works and what doesn’t, and are eager to share this experience with both junior and senior members and guide them through that process. They are also able to, and excited to, help architect the data science infrastructure needed to accelerate innovation on models and facilitate serving and maintaining them. Finally, they should be curious and eager to identify and explore the myriad of other products that can be built on our unique data asset. Our culture emphasizes making good tradeoffs, working as a team, and leaving your ego at the door.
Over the past six years Bluecore has shown that Marketing Teams can create meaningful and valuable experiences for their customers using only first party data; an increasingly important proposition with the rise in concerns around online privacy and third party data. As a Principal Data Scientist, you'll be joining a dedicated group of Data Scientists and Engineers at the forefront of exploring exciting ways to activate that data asset. We build powerful models that enable Marketers to make the right decisions and engage their customers with personalized content that is timely, relevant, and valuable. Our approach to building models is an academic one, starting with a literature search, a baseline, and an iterative process of training and validation to identify the most suitable model that is as simple as possible and as powerful as necessary. We employ a wide variety of models, such as Bayesian models for predicting customer lifetime value, matrix factorization to identify a customer’s product affinity, and reinforcement learning models to optimize content, timing, and frequency of marketing communications.
Our models operate at scale and crunch through millions of data points to make decisions that have been shown to double revenue and triple reach, and are designed in a flexible manner to generalize across our set of 400+ diverse customers who span industries from apparel to automotive. To explore, build, deploy, and maintain models we leverage many tools such as BigQuery, Spark, Cloud SQL, Keras, TensorFlow, Airflow, Kubernetes, and Google Compute Engine. Finally, we’re a team that values applied research and constantly exploring the frontier of what’s possible; diving into fields such as topic modeling, restricted Boltzmann machines, recurrent neural networks, convolutional neural networks for image feature extraction, and differential privacy.
- Identifying appropriate models/algorithms to solve product requirements
- Meticulous experimentation to evaluate and compare models
- Writing internal and external facing documentation describing models and approaches, such as wiki pages, white papers, blog posts or journal papers.
- Deploying models to production and maintaining them
- Evangelizing Bluecore Data Science internally and externally
- Identifying new opportunities to leverage our data asset
- Proposing and drive technical initiatives
- Proposing infrastructure to accelerate the pace of model exploration and improve model serving and maintenance
- Being a technical mentor for senior and junior team members
- Meeting with customers to discuss our machine learning models and roadmap
- PhD or MS in a quantitative discipline such as Applied Math, Data Science, Physics, Statistics, or Engineering
- Deep understanding of Statistical/Probabilistic Analysis and Linear Algebra
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience, including internships
- Experience building, delivering and maintaining Machine Learning and AI products
- Experience setting ML/AI project roadmaps
- Strong oral and written presentation skills
- Experience in technical mentorship and leadership
- Ability to write production-ready code
- Experience with Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Natural Language Processing, Time Series Analysis, and/or Optimization
- Experience with ML at scale
- Experience with SQL
Highly competitive compensation package including salary and equity as well as the opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing marketing technology companies.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) plan
- Monthly discretionary reimbursement towards fitness, home office and/or Learning and Development opportunities
- Generous Parental Leave & flexible vacation policy
We are proud of the culture of flexibility, inclusivity and trust that we have built around our workforce. We are a remote first organization with the option to potentially work in our New York headquarters on occasion moving forward. We love the opportunity to come together – but employees will always have the option on where they work best.
At Bluecore we believe in encouraging an inclusive environment in which employees feel encouraged to share their unique perspectives, demonstrate their strengths, and act authentically. We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those from all backgrounds and varying experiences. Bluecore is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are committed to fair hiring practices and to building a welcoming environment for all team members. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, familial status or veteran status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.