Principal Engineer, Data Engineering
JW Player is looking for a Principal Data Engineer to partner with senior leaders, product managers and other stakeholders to enable actionable insights that accelerate the growth of the business through the implementation of a robust data management infrastructure.
This role offers the opportunity to influence data-driven culture through the analysis of large amounts of data and the building of metrics and business cases around key performance. The Principal Data Engineer understands and owns the health of the services and drives necessary changes as needed.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with excellent analytical abilities as well as a passion for problem-solving and a penchant for tackling the ambiguous. The Principal Data Engineer will architect the data platform from multiple sources and spearhead best practices throughout the evolution of data -- from structured data warehouse methods to big data analytics -- while keeping ahead of the technology curve.
Most importantly, the Principal Data Engineer will help lead the charge in leveraging data to the fullest extent for both customers and the JW Player business as a whole.
- Drive and implement data management strategy; design and deliver automated solutions whenever applicable
- Work closely with business and software engineering leaders to lead catalog data improvements so as to maximize customer improvement impact
- Lead business intelligence and data engineers to design and develop data infrastructure strategy for the quality and software development organization
- Partner with data scientists and product analysts, enable effective decision making by streamlining data pipelines and make data from from multiple sources available, with highest quality
- Perform deep-dives to find the root causes behind variances and identify opportunities for quality control automation.
- Triage many possible courses of action in a high-ambiguity environment, making use of both quantitative analysis and business judgment
- Collaborate with software engineering teams to integrate experimental capabilities into large-scale, highly complex JW Player production systems
- Ensure results in a manner which is both statistically rigorous and compellingly relevant
- Assist in recruiting, mentoring, developing, and training other data engineers and business intelligence and product analysts within the organization
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field or experience equivalent
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in a role requiring application of analytic skills to integrate data into operational/business planning or advanced degree
- 5+ years of operations and/or multi-source data engineering experience (e.g. S3 Data Lake)
- Strength in writing and tuning SQL, data modeling, ETL development, and data warehousing
- Proficiency with scripting languages (Python/R) or other modern program languages
- Advanced ability to draw insights from data and clearly communicate them (verbal/written) to the stakeholders and senior management as required
- Self-driven, with ability to deliver on ambiguous projects with incomplete or dirty data
- An ability and interest in working in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment
- Experience in working with very large data (petabytes) warehouse environment
- Familiarity with AWS and latest Big Data technical stack (e.g. Spark, Storm, Kafka, Flink …)
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Current the company serves over 1.5 billion unique users a month and ingests over 1.5 terabytes a day. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.