Principal Engineer, Data Engineering
JW Player serves over 1.5 billion unique users a month and ingests over 1.5 terabytes a day. A lot of users means a lot of data, and it's up to our Data Engineering teams to make sense of it all.
Data Engineering at JW Player encompasses two teams : Data Pipelines and Data Insights. Data Pipelines is our Big Data team -- they turn that 1.5 terabytes of data into something the rest of the company can use. Data Insights is our product-focused data team -- they develop our world-class suite of analytical tools, empowering customers to make intelligent, data-driven decisions.
As Principal Engineer, you will provide technological leadership for both of these teams through exciting, thoughtful hands-on development.
In this role, you will :
- Guide the technical direction of the Data Engineering teams
- Evaluate new technologies and assess their suitability
- Lead our design and architecture initiatives
- Provide technical mentorship for the team
- Create high-performance, fully-optimized Spark jobs
- Develop robust, bullet-proof pipelines using Luigi and Airflow
- Leverage Flink and Kafka to process realtime data at lightning speed
- Develop new uses for our data, such as bulk exports and automatic content registration
- Go deep on Postgres. Optimize our schemas, indexes, partitions, and bulk loading strategies
- Enhance and improve JW Player's powerful suite of analytical tools
- Create intuitive new tools to help customers make data-driven decisions
- Analyze and explore the world's largest network of independent video publishers
- Follow industry-standard best practices to ensure data quality and integrity
- Improve our test data generators and enhance our QA infrastructure
- Work with a highly-skilled team that values kindness, open communication, and mentorship
Cool technologies you'll get to work with :
- Languages : Python, Java
- Big Data : Spark, Flink, Kafka
- Workflow : Luigi, Airflow
- Data Stores : Postgres, ElasticSearch, Redis
- Data Lake : Snowflake, Athena
- Cloud : AWS, EMR, EC2, S3
- Tools : Flask, Falcon, Docker, Github
- Degree in Computer Science or relevant discipline or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of relevant experience writing code for a production environment
- Experience with data engineering and analytics
- Python experience
- Solid testing skills (i.e. unit tests, integration tests, smoke tests, and performance tests)
- Exceptional communication skills
- Strong work ethic and drive to learn new skills
- A collaborative spirit and desire to work with other humans
About JW Player
JW Player pioneered video on the web over a decade ago and continues to innovate as the world’s largest network-independent platform for video delivery and intelligence. Media companies including Fox, VICE, Business Insider, and Univision, in addition to hundreds of thousands of creators of all types and sizes, rely on JW Player to deliver and monetize their content across all devices. JW Player’s massive global footprint of over 2 billion unique devices creates a powerful data graph of unique consumer insights and generates billions of incremental video views. The company is headquartered in New York, with offices in London and Eindhoven, and was named to Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500™ in 2017. For more information, visit http://www.jwplayer.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.