Property Operations Analyst at Common
Common is the nation’s leading residential brand offering convenience and community through coliving and traditional apartments. Our signature approach to end-to-end property management and technology allows us to deliver unparalleled experiences across 40 buildings, 6 cities, and over 1,000 residents. Common is the preferred choice for both residents looking for a stress-free and convenient living environment, and for real estate owners seeking reliable, above-market returns. Launched in October 2015, we now operate buildings in New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Oakland, Seattle, Washington, D.C., and Virginia Beach and receive over 16,000 new member applications per month.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Common’s team. We challenge ourselves every day to make city living better. Our team is comprised of real estate professionals, designers, engineers, salespeople, marketers, client service representatives, and so much more. We work collaboratively, value self-starters, and embrace a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure our work is done and done well.
Common was founded by General Assembly co-founder Brad Hargreaves and has raised over $65MM in venture funding.
About the Role
Common is seeking a Property Operations Analyst to underwrite and support operations for the stabilized buildings real estate partners bring to our management platform. You will work closely with our Real Estate and Property Management Teams as we pitch Common’s management platform and deliver results for our real estate partners and residents. At least 5 years of experience across property operations and real estate finance is required for this role. Your day-to-day will include financial statements, budgets, and data-driven strategy discussions as we grow our business profitably. This role reports to the VP of Platform.
- Underwrite new opportunities and create budgets for existing Common projects while applying the lens of Common’s unique operating model
- Review and analyze financial statements, operating budgets, rent rolls, and capital expenditure budgets
- Research and evaluate economic, demographic, and real estate trends through data analysis
- Compile and analyze competitive property activity by tracking rents, sales, and operating costs
- Conduct property site inspections and market tours (some travel may be required)
- Create memos and presentations for the leadership team, partners, and institutional investors
- 5+ years of work experience in Real Estate across operations and finance
- You have robust experience underwriting multifamily assets and analyzing comps
- You have deep familiarity with how the idiosyncrasies of individual assets affect financial performance; your first-hand experience in property operations informs your underwriting
- You translate abstract concepts into financial models with ease
- You communicate concisely in writing and in presentations
- You are a team player capable of handling day-to-day tasks with limited oversight
- You thrive in a fast-paced environment and seeing your work have an impact
- You are able and willing to travel to remote markets
- Expert in Excel
- SQL proficiency a plus
What We Offer
Common truly values our employees and wants to do everything to ensure that our employees are not only happy and professionally fulfilled, but also that they have the opportunity to be healthy. Because of this, we are committed to providing a number of affordable and valuable health and wellness benefits for our employees such as paid vacation and sick time, medical, dental and vision insurance, Company paid life insurance, Company paid STD/LTD Insurance, FSA + HSA options, commuter transit benefits, generous paid parental leave and a 401K. Additional benefits such as Company equity, paid holidays, weekly team lunches + weekly happy hours, a fully stocked kitchen, flexible working hours, job training + development opportunities + a great wellness program are also available. And as always, we are regularly evaluating our offerings to ensure employees needs are being met.
We are committed to affirmatively providing equal opportunity to all associates and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, legally protected physical or mental disability, military or veteran status or any other basis protected under applicable federal or state law.