Data Engineering at Policygenius...
Policygenius is on a mission to educate and right-size financial protection for everyone! This is a great opportunity to join our data engineering team as a Data Architect to help advance our core infrastructure capabilities. We are relentless in our grit and drive to reliably deliver outstanding products at scale while maintaining one of the best engineering cultures you’ll witness. We are growing fast, but we can go further faster with experienced, collaborative, challenge-seeking data architects like yourself.
Our data engineering team focuses on the company’s analytical data and ML pipelines/environments. This is delivered via decentralized product data engineers and supported by centralized data and ML infrastructure. As a senior data engineer focusing on data architecture, you will be critical in developing and executing on our future roadmap for data lake/warehousing, data model and design, governance, and stream/batch processes to name a few. In this role you will work closely with our product data engineers, analysts, and scientists while partnering closely with DevSecOps, SREs and infrastructural teams.
Individuals who reside in Alaska, California, Colorado, Montana, Nevada, and Rhode Island are not eligible for this remote role.
In this role, you will…
- Be responsible for designing, developing, and executing on a holistic company-wide analytical data environment to improve our foundational data infrastructure
- Develop best practices and guidance around setting up data processes to support varying degrees of operational and analytical needs
- Coach and mentor data engineers and other peers on data best practices, OLTP/OLAP differences, DevOps culture for data processes etc.
- Embraces and works with partner teams to ensure good data security and governance in an analytical environment
- Constantly assess and inventory existing data assets, making changes as necessary to support our data architecture
- Ensure and monitor reliability of our data platform in terms of scalability, latency, and ability to rollback releases
We’d love to hear from you if you…
- Have 4-6 years of relevant experience in software or data engineering developing analytical environments, databases, data models, and/or data pipelines
- Are experienced in solution architecting data lakes, warehouses, compute environments, batched orchestration, stream processing and other data platform components
- Are comfortable and confident in popular scripting, query, data processing and markup languages in data, but also ready to dive a level down with performance-oriented languages
- Are passionate about designing and building performant systems, and technical solutions, for data and analytical problem
- Embrace a generative culture and excels in rapidly changing/evolving environments
- Have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or equivalent experience
Technologies we’d like you to…
- Use day-to-day: Git, Terraform, Kubernetes, Docker, general GCP tooling, SQL, and Python
- Have expertise in the data stack: Airflow, Kafka, Beam, Spark, and other cloud/OSS/managed equivalents
- Have experience with data storage: Postgres, Redis, Mongo, Cassandra, Neo4j, HDFS/S3/GCS, and other cloud/OSS/managed equivalents
- Be comfortable with serialization and working with various data formats: Protobuf, Parquet, Avro, Arrow, media files etc.
- Be familiar with analytics-related platforms: Kubeflow, MLFlow, Vertex AI, Sagemaker, ZenML
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- A flexible-first workplace, with the freedom to work in our beautiful offices or remotely as needed based on the needs of your role, team, and the business
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry, including training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- An inclusive community of fun, diverse, and open-minded coworkers committed to our mission of helping people get financial protection right
Policygenius transforms the insurance journey for today’s consumer, providing a one-stop platform where customers can compare options from top insurance companies, get unbiased expert advice, buy policies, and manage their insurance portfolio, all in one seamless, integrated experience. Since 2014, our content, digital tools, and experts have served as a resource for millions of people on their insurance journey, and we have sold more than $120 billion in coverage. In early 2020, we announced our Series D funding round of $100 million, which brought our total funding to just over $150 million.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Even with our rapid growth, we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we’re looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine's "Best Workplaces" four years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!